Transportation during winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,

Off to the vet with my baby beardie today (41g). We’ve had to do a couple of vet trips since we got him for a bruised lung, eye infection, and worms.

Note; We fell in love w him at a pet store and made an exception to our no pet store rule. He came with it all and we’ve been working with the vet to get a clear bill of health. Today is hopefully the day. As much as I hate pet stores (this will be the last animal we ever buy from one) and the vet bills, I’m happy he came home with us as I’m not sure a beginner owner would have caught it all.

Anyways, like I said we’ve done a few trips but Canada has finally decided winter is here. The last few times it’s been about 5 C (41 F I believe?) and we’ve manage with body heat and blankets or towels. Today it is -18 C (-1F) AND the only appointment they could give us was a night one. Any suggestions or recommendations for taking Potato to the vet? We’re going to of course warm up the car but even then it’s not that warm... ive got an electric heat pad we can take... he also HATES enclosed spaces which is going to suck...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Heating up the car of course like you already do. You can also get hand warmers, they last for 12 or more hours. You can open the hand warmer, shake it, let it heat up and then wrap the warmer in a bit of newspaper or a wash cloth and duct tape it so it doesn't come out. You can put your beardie in a shoebox with one heat pack wrapped up [ it MUST be wrapped because the heat packs get very hot + can burn a beardie. ] Otherwise just do it the way you have been , just be extra careful with the trip from the car to the building.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that they do OK on car trips during the winter. Especially a short trip like this one that doesn't require any rest stops. I would preheat the car and as mentioned just use a shoebox or carrier that has some towels or fleece blankets in it. When you are outside of the car, just cover the box. You aren't likely to be exposed to the cold for long enough for it to be a problem when providing a bit of insulation with the blanket/towel. They do just fine at normal car temps. A wrapped hand warmer is certainly a good option, but may not be necessary if you don't have one.

sukasmomma

Original Poster
AHBD":hbkb0qnb said:
Heating up the car of course like you already do. You can also get hand warmers, they last for 12 or more hours. You can open the hand warmer, shake it, let it heat up and then wrap the warmer in a bit of newspaper or a wash cloth and duct tape it so it doesn't come out. You can put your beardie in a shoebox with one heat pack wrapped up [ it MUST be wrapped because the heat packs get very hot + can burn a beardie. ] Otherwise just do it the way you have been , just be extra careful with the trip from the car to the building.

We got a 10pack of handwarmers and it worked GREAT! I honesty didn’t even think of it - genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom