Post Brumation Update on Drogon-Please Read

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Post Brumation Update on Drogon-Please Read

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi Everyone!

A few posts ago, I discussed how Drogon wasn't keen on eating post brumation. Many people suggested giving him time, and another great suggestion was using Ben-Bac probiotic gel. However, he was still having problems eating.

My mother's intuition said something isn't right, and I'm glad I took him to the vet today. Read on for more.

Initial visit:

With Drogon's first visit, CBC/chem and other bloodwork came back normal.
He was also active and checking out the other patients, especially the bunnies :)!

But after they did a fecal exam, that's where we understood the problem: flagellates and ascarids. Yuck! No wonder he wasn't eating.

Drogon was also dehydrated. The theory you see about double-strand saliva and wrinkled skin is indeed a sign of dehydration. If your bearded dragon doesn't drink from a dish, doesn't enjoy mistings, and doesnt like the water dropped onto his snout, then I recommend bathing daily as per my vet's instructions.

I've also learned that YES, take your dragon to the vet pre brumation to see if any parasites will cause a problem for your sleeping beauties.

So, if you're a beardie owner and suspect something isn't right, it's worth a vet visit. Listen to your gut. Exotic vets are expensive but I'm glad my little guy is getting the treatment he needs to feel better :)

Feel free to discuss this topic! I love talking dragons with you guys!

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Post Brumation Update on Drogon-Please Read

Postby AHBD » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Hi Selkie, glad everything is working out O.K for Drogon. :) You were fortunate to have found a vet that was helpful. For many people a vet trip before brumation turns out with more questions than answers such as " captive dragons don't need to brumate " or " we should deworm just in case" , delay brumation etc. So for some owners it turns out good, for others not so much.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Re: Post Brumation Update on Drogon-Please Read

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Yeah I definitely made sure to check out many reviews before choosing this vet (although it's the only exotic vet in Charleston, so thank God they were good!)

In a post visit email, they actually had more info on brumation from this website! :) The visit was a bit longer than expected, but I'm glad they understand it's a natural behavior. The vet also assured me that parasites just happen. After all, beardies eat some nasty stuff xP

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health