Sulfatrim - When to worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviEnnis

Beardie has been on sulfatrim for what feels like forever.

He started in October for very high coccidia. Measured again November, December, and now. Count has decreased significantly since the last one (from 16000 to 2000).

Vet wants to go another 3 weeks and asked if I think he could tolerate that, I said yes. Not sure if it's a horrible coincidence in timing but yesterday and today his appetite is way down (but not gone) and he's incredibly lethargic.

At what point should I worry beyond him just temporarily feeling crappy? My main worry is avoiding putting him in a life threatening position, or something that can't be reversed. If he was approaching that I'd rather give him some relief from the medication and fight coccidia again later.

He's still eating an ok sized meal once a day.
He's still pooping on average once every one and a half days. They've also been very dry last two days so I'm upping amount of water I'm giving him via syringe.
Probiotics daily (also via syringe.. I'm now essentially using more water in the mix).
Housing etc already verified as ok (T5, 38-40c basking spot, etc).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Personally I would stop completely right now, there's too much damage that can be done by sulfa drugs when used for such a long period of time. You can at least give your dragon a much needed break from the meds. for a while. If and when you do resume medicating, ask for Ponazuril rather than what your vet was using, it often works in 2-3 doses. If the vet is not familiar with it I would find another vet ASAP. I'm surprised that your dragon is even in as good shape that he's in after all those sulfa drugs.

daviEnnis

Original Poster
AHBD":1llohizr said:
Personally I would stop completely right now, there's too much damage that can be done by sulfa drugs when used for such a long period of time. You can at least give your dragon a much needed break from the meds. for a while. If and when you do resume medicating, ask for Ponazuril rather than what your vet was using, it often works in 2-3 doses. If the vet is not familiar with it I would find another vet ASAP. I'm surprised that your dragon is even in as good shape that he's in after all those sulfa drugs.

Ponazuril is a myth in Scotland :) what damage does the sulfa drugs do?

My worry is, given the absolute zero ways to get ponazuril, I'll give him a break but then require another 2 months back on sulfatrim at some point.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, too bad you can't get Ponazuril. Long term sulfa drugs can do liver + especially kidney damage. They can wipe out the good gut flora as well despite the probiotics.

daviEnnis

Original Poster
AHBD":3sbvs793 said:
Oh, too bad you can't get Ponazuril. Long term sulfa drugs can do liver + especially kidney damage. They can wipe out the good gut flora as well despite the probiotics.

Thank you. I'll monitor him closely - he is only on 2 doses per week, so in reality he has around 5 doses total left until we hope he's at the end of the treatment.

If he doesn't pick up somewhat in the next day or two I'll abandon this track entirely and give him a break (he has had little 'moments' like this before where he has appeared to be going backwards for a couple of days, then suddenly full of life again).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, good thing it wasn't being given every day. Hopefully he'll be good in the long run after this. Good move getting the probiotics in him , keeping up with hydration is important as well.

daviEnnis

Original Poster
I'm probably being paranoid. The last 2 days his rear legs seem much weaker, like he's timid to use them, but then when he actually does use them he seems to be moving fine to me.

His poos are too big for him to be suffering an impaction I believe. Basking temps are 38 Celsius. He has calci worms, locusts and gut loaded dubias as his staples. He's not eating at his peak but still enough to not seem like an emergency (around 20 calci worms this morning and 3 dubias this evening).

Does everything look ok to people? Pics and videos below are from the coffee table, don't worry I've not filled his tank with keys and wallets.

Video walking: https://streamable.com/l9b1qr

20210112-200202.jpg

20210112-200148.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks fine and I see no walking problem at all. He's a beautiful Dunner, hope he lives a long + healthy life !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is very colorful indeed! It didn't appear that he had any trouble walking but I do agree that
long term use of sulfa based meds can contribute to renal issues or gout.
Does he have high counts of coccidia?
I would also consider trying to get him put on some type of probiotic. You can look for a non
dairy acidophiliz or non dairy organic soy yogurt. This can help replenish the gut flora for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
AHBD":126kfwer said:
He looks fine and I see no walking problem at all. He's a beautiful Dunner, hope he lives a long + healthy life !

Thank you!

Drache613":126kfwer said:
Hello,

He is very colorful indeed! It didn't appear that he had any trouble walking but I do agree that
long term use of sulfa based meds can contribute to renal issues or gout.
Does he have high counts of coccidia?
I would also consider trying to get him put on some type of probiotic. You can look for a non
dairy acidophiliz or non dairy organic soy yogurt. This can help replenish the gut flora for him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

It was originally 'very high' but I didn't ask for a count. It was then 16,000. And then in the most recent count was 2,000. The vet did ask if I thought he could tolerate some more treatment (due to lockdowns they're only doing physical appointments where absolutely necessary) and I said I think he could - she then advised to continue for another 3 weeks then another fecal test (0.02ml, 2x a week.. I'd given him a dose the morning that the vet called, so it was really 5 more doses to try and get rid of that last 2,000).

I give him Reptoboost daily. I take a half teaspoon, mix it in a very small cup of boiled water, syringe out around 0.15ml, wait for it to cool then syringe feed him it (I give him little bits, around 0.02-0.03ml at the time, in to the side of his gum so its not squirting down his throat or anything). Would it be beneficial to either replace this with non dairy organic soy yoghurt, or add non dairy organic soy yoghurt on top of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom