Humped back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jogla

Hi
My beardie is around 4 months old - i’ve had him/(think might be a her now) for about 5 and a half weeks now. Viv temperatures are perfect, i have a 10% uvb bulb going the full length of the top of the tank with nothing covering it, basking spot, and he’s eating as he should be. Also not impacted as pooing regularly, and i don’t have any loose substrate. Recently when he walks it looks like his back has a hump in it, should I be worried about this or take him to the vet? It doesn’t look like 1 particular lump more like his whole back arches. I had a photo but my phone isnt letting me attach!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 10% UVB is a Reptisun? I would get a stronger bulb like the T 5 -- I am assuming the bulb is a T 8? But we need to have Tracie Drache613 look at him -- can you get a pic of him flattened out as well -- the distance for your T 8 is how far? Basking decor should be 6-8 inches directly under it for a T 8 --
Karrie

Jogla

Original Poster
KarrieRee":22adxg4y said:
The 10% UVB is a Reptisun? I would get a stronger bulb like the T 5 -- I am assuming the bulb is a T 8? But we need to have Tracie Drache613 look at him -- can you get a pic of him flattened out as well -- the distance for your T 8 is how far? Basking decor should be 6-8 inches directly under it for a T 8 --
Karrie

Yeah i’ll check all this in the morning and post in a reply. Its 5 to 11 at night where I am so he’s been sleeping for a while and don’t want to disturb! He’s not long finished shedding last week and seemed quite agitated by any hanging bits of shed but i’m aware not to pull off any so just left him to it, i’d say that’s when he started looking quite puffed out like this. Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is an odd stance, I agree. Can you get a few more pictures for us, too?
What brand of UVB is the 10%?
How often do you give him calcium?
It is possible that he has shed on his tummy that is bothering him, making him walk with
his tummy off of the ground. You mentioned that he does flatten himself out also?

Tracie

Jogla

Original Poster
Drache613":103gnxwk said:
Hello,

That is an odd stance, I agree. Can you get a few more pictures for us, too?
What brand of UVB is the 10%?
How often do you give him calcium?
It is possible that he has shed on his tummy that is bothering him, making him walk with
his tummy off of the ground. You mentioned that he does flatten himself out also?

Tracie

He seems to have completely finished shedding. These are a few photos of him when he’s not completely bloated looking i’ll try get another when he’s standing. The UVB i have is an arcadia, i believe it’s a T8 i’ve ordered a t5 12% bulb that should be coming in the next few days. I’m not overly worried as he doesn’t seem sick or lethargic, apart from the bloated/puffiness he’s absolutely fine I just don’t want it to possibly become something more serious. I dust his live feed with calcium every time, he doesn’t eat any greens.. will take if i feed it off tweezers once then realises he doesn’t like it and won’t take anymore
109876-4522955865.jpg
109876-721331770.jpg
109876-4450196629.jpg

Jogla

Original Poster
And his basking decor is about 9 inches under. He eats about 10-15 bugs in the morning and another 15-20 about 2 hours before his lights go off. This picture was on Friday and the 3 i posted above were this morning
109876-2763770265.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I can see the hump back ---- you want him eating some greens now -- I would try getting some BSFL and adding those to the tops of his salads first thing in the morning -- they are a great staple feeder and you do not need to dust them - add them to his salads in front of him it will get his attention to the bowl -- then later feed him his main staple feeder - you can add the crickets to that salad bowl too but you will need to disable them -- so they cant get out of the bowl - you will need a glass or ceramic bowl the worms / insects cant get out of -- even if hes eating a little bit of salad that is good here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a really good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

Jogla

Original Poster
Thanks i’ve ordered some boxes of these and a few new things such as new uvb light etc. He’s now started puffing himself up including his beard in and out even when nobodys near him so he’s nothing to be afraid of. And also scratching his chin against his rock. Is this a sign of him getting ready to shed again already?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the puffing of the beard is them stretching and getting ready for a shed usually -- or if its first thing in the morning they do it then too --
What UVB light do you have coming?
Karrie

Jogla

Original Poster
I have ordered an Arcadia D3+ 24w 12% T5. Once I get payed I'm going to look at getting a bigger vivarium with more vents as i'm struggling to keep humidity down.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing? I am glad to hear you got the Arcadia T5 tube ordered.
The Arcadia T8 is about 9 inches from him & is it on top of the screen also?
You can cut back on the calcium dusting to once per day, 4-5 times per week.
If he is not impacted, or has injured himself, he may be developing metabolic bone disease.
There really isn't any other reason for him developing a hunched back there. If the T8 is too
far away, or for some reason he isn't absorbing his calcium properly that would cause calcium
issues.

Tracie

Jogla

Original Poster
Drache613":10ot1jwa said:
Hello,

How is your little one doing? I am glad to hear you got the Arcadia T5 tube ordered.
The Arcadia T8 is about 9 inches from him & is it on top of the screen also?
You can cut back on the calcium dusting to once per day, 4-5 times per week.
If he is not impacted, or has injured himself, he may be developing metabolic bone disease.
There really isn't any other reason for him developing a hunched back there. If the T8 is too
far away, or for some reason he isn't absorbing his calcium properly that would cause calcium
issues.

Tracie

Yeah the arcadia is 9 inches from him mounted on the inside front panel, it doesn’t have a reflector yet but i have ordered one as I didn’t realise they benefitted the uvb rays getting to the dragon. He’s still ok at the moment, doing everything he should be doing so i’m hoping with the correct lighting etc he won’t deteriorate at all now

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
I hope he is starting to feel better. Remember, it is a slow process for them to heal up
& get better so be patient with him. A reflector would greatly enhance the UVB emissions
for him. How is his appetite doing, has he had any improvement of eating?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom