Beardie refusing water except...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeydragon97

My boy Honey is a bit over three years old, I got him as a little 2 inch baby and have raised him ever since. Water has always been tricky with him. He's never really liked baths, doesn't enjoy being misted, and has no interest in his bowl. I've tried just about every trick, suggestion, hack and what have you, to try to get him to drink from a bath or bowl, all with no success. HOWEVER. He loves showers, he gets excited and runs to the shower door whenever I turn the water on, and this is the only time I can ever get him to drink. He usually poops in the shower also, though will poo in his tank every once in awhile. Is there anything wrong with this? Im asking because a rando I ended up talking with at a pet store said showers were bad, and the internet seems to agree... Is there something else I should be doing? Or just let him enjoy his showers? (And rain when it's warm outside)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Showers are a bit like rain which is natural to them. They tilt their head forward to funnel water down their head to their nose to lick at it. The issue with a shower in a house would probably be increased humidity which could cause respiratory problems. What I'd try instead is dripping water on his head using a dropper or plastic syringe to imitate the falling rain drops like in a shower and see if he starts to lick at it.

As long as he is eating bugs that have been eating veges and are well hydrated and nice fresh veges, he shouldn't need a whole lot of extra water. If you look at his poop that will help tell you if he's hydrated or not. A chalky urate and dry poop may indicate dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom