rescue beardie partially blind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnix2020

first time posting but need some help/advice...
okay so me and my hubby recently recued a supposed one year old bearded dragon from a pet store. in the cage at the store he looked very malnourished and weak. upon bringing him home we realized that he seemed to be having some sort of vision issue. we took him to the vet who said he had no cataracts and did not appear to be blind. however, he still doesnt appear to see very well. he follows shadows and seems to know where our hands are. but when attempting to feed crickets he "sees" one move but cant pin point where its at to catch it. feeding mealworms in a bowl he seems to find them easier in lighted parts of the bowl but not under the shadow of his head. we are unsure of the conditions of his previous habitat but all lighting in the enclosure we now have is vet recommended and he is not close to any heat or uvb lights.
after doing some further research outside of the vet we're thinking he may be partially sighted.
aside from the backstory my real reason for posting is to find out if anyone has had a similar issues, has an idea what the problem could be, or any feeding methods to try?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the UVB and basking temps- I know you said it was vet recommended but we have run across vets not very savy on lighting---- can you post pics of him and his lighting please-
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post -- Tracie and AHBD are going to have to help w/ the eye issue
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I recommend you get the UVB in the tank take clear plastic cover off the bulb distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor--the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays---- does he have issues moving around in the tank? You may have to hand feed him but we need Tracie and ahbd to help here are you getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?
Karrie

simnix2020

Original Poster
there is no plastic cover over the uvb bulb, we dont have a digital probe thermometer just a hygrometer and we just moved his tank around and forgot to move the hygrometer also. he seems to have no issues moving around in his tank he crawls in and out of his hut alot and likes to lay in his water bowl or on his food dish. also no issues moving around outside his tank. he acts very curious when roaming outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom