Health Problem-solving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureCenter

I'm looking for some advice on dealing with health issues in Spark, the bearded dragon.

Spark was donated to the camp I work at about six months before I started working there, and his owner didn't leave much information on his background. He's an adult, but not sure what age. I'm also not sure what condition he arrived in, but ever since I've started working with him he has never seemed completely healthy. His top jaw is receded, leaving curled edges, and he never seems to have great muscle tone or energy.

I've tried improving his habitat with a better UVB light and better basking spot (although there is still room for improvement) and increasing his calcium intake by dusting any live food, but I haven't noticed much improvement in his condition. He is a VERY picky eater and rarely can be convinced to eat any veggies, so that might be part of the problem.

Now for the questions ... Does this sound like MBD? If so, can something like a deformed jaw be reversed, or is that permanent damage? Besides calcium powder, is there any other at-home/DIY type treatment that might help Spark? How helpful do you think a vet visit might be? The closest reptile vet is several hours away and the camp budget is pretty limited, so I'm trying to do as much as I can on my own.

Thanks for any insight or advice you can offer!

109659-3542892048.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lets first start w/ Sparks lighting ---- UVB brand and bulb ? Coil or tube and where in the tank is it? Top of screen or in the tank? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate----- as far as I know MBD cannot be reversed but it can be prevented from getting any worse--- Tracie or AHBD or both can help you on that issue
Karrie

NatureCenter

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie!

Spark has a 48" Reptisun 10.0 UVB running the length of his tank on top of the screen. Basking temp is 95F, which I'm measuring with a ZooMed probe thermometer.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's really nice that you've taken an interest in Spark ! The jaw deformity is permanent but it sounds like you're on the right track with his care now. Are his limbs , back or tail deformed in any way ? Can he walk O.K ? He just needed better nutrition + lighting, which you are providing now so keep up the good work. A vet won't help much and it would be stressful for Spark to be taken for that long distance. You can offer a veggie smoothie 1-2 times a week. Experiment to see what he might like, squash is usually a favorite, you can add kale, a wee bit of sweet potato and any greens like turnip, mustard, collards. A pinch of calcium powder should be added. What type of insects is he eating and how often ?

NatureCenter

Original Poster
Thanks! It's super helpful to know that a vet visit wouldn't make much of a difference at this point. Spark's back, limbs, and tail all are straight and look normal, although he doesn't walk around much, and when he does, he limps/just has a very awkward gait.

Should the veggie smoothy be a completely pureed consistency? And should the veggies be cooked first? Do beardies generally have a preference for cold, room temp, or warm food?

Spark usually eats 5ish super worms 5-6 days per week. He used to like crickets, but doesn't seem to like them anymore. Any recommendations on types/amounts of insects to feed Spark?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Puree consistency is good, raw veggies bit if anything is super hard you can microwave it some to soften it. Room temp. is good for all their food, luke warm wouldn't hurt but not much more than that and definitely nothing cold. It sounds like he has a good appetite for superworms, be sure to dust them with calcium powder. I keep 2 types on hand, one with and one without D3 and use one on one day, another the next feeding. For adults it's 2-3 X a week but since our boy has MBD you might want to dust the bugs every other day, switching between the calc. with + next time calc. w/out. Can you get any other insects like dubia roaches ? You should get a good vitamin powder as well to use very lightly only 1-2 X a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom