Owning Multiple Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently own a three year old male dragon. I’m planning to get a second bearded dragon in the next few months.

I’m already aware that no matter male/female they should have separate tanks, and their tanks shouldn’t be where they can see one another (their tanks will be in the same room, as that’s where they have to be kept.). Also, I know they can’t interact with one another.

My main question, is it better to own a male and female, or a male and male?

And could anyone share their experiences with owning multiple dragons? Good or bad.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have 5 currently, and over the past 20 years I've never really owned only 1 at a time lol.

There are no hard and fast rules. But if any rule is close to that, it would be that they should have their own space (enclosure) if possible.

However, all the other "rules" are more dragon dependant. Only 1 of my 5 dragons gets stressed at the sight of the other dragons. All of them but a separate one from the first example, do fine out together.

As far as what gender to get, it won't make too much of a difference. Even if you get 2 females, one will try to be the dominate dragon. That's just how dragons are.

We have heard of people owning male dragons and getting a female dragon and somehow, the male is able to "sense" the new female even without seeing her. I've personally never experienced such a thing, so who knows.

My best advice is just get the dragon that feels right to you :)

-Brandon

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Claudiusx":35cts8lx said:
I have 5 currently, and over the past 20 years I've never really owned only 1 at a time lol.

There are no hard and fast rules. But if any rule is close to that, it would be that they should have their own space (enclosure) if possible.

However, all the other "rules" are more dragon dependant. Only 1 of my 5 dragons gets stressed at the sight of the other dragons. All of them but a separate one from the first example, do fine out together.

As far as what gender to get, it won't make too much of a difference. Even if you get 2 females, one will try to be the dominate dragon. That's just how dragons are.

We have heard of people owning male dragons and getting a female dragon and somehow, the male is able to "sense" the new female even without seeing her. I've personally never experienced such a thing, so who knows.

-Brandon
got that built in woman tracker

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've had up to 3 at once . ( An adult and 2 hatchlings )

But then I've had a mix of multiple lizard species as pets simultaneously
ie max 3 CBDs, 2 EBTS, 3 EWS, 2 DS, and a G.Dubia gecko .
Currently 2 x CBDs + 2 x EBTS + 1 adult EWS.
Everyone gets some quality human time most days , and the bigger lizards get floor fun time.

CBD = central bearded dragon
EBTS = eastern bluetongue skink
EWS = eastern water skink
DS = delicate ( weasel ) garden skink

My advise is , hatching dragons can be housed together , so long as you feed them SEPARATELY and provide multiple hides and basking spots and they have enough space ( ie no less than a 120L tub for a rearing tub , might be OK for up to 3 hatchlings of similar ages )
Adult CBDs are better off housed alone in a suitable sized tank ( general rule , Lizard length = nose to tip of tail = A , tank length > 3A tank width > 2A ).

Not worth the risk trying house 2 or more adult CBDs in the same tank unless it's huge , mixes that can work are 2F , 3F , 1M + 2F .
Generally people only allow CBD to share a tank short term at breeding time , and only short term.

My advise is if there is a large size difference in the dragons, they don't mix , the smaller dragon is likely to become a snack.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I currently have two males - kept in the same room the tanks are side by side but the tanks are Zens so the sides are solid - they cannot see each other - only once they have actually been able to see each other for a period of time and that was my fault I had one in their carrier the other in their tank I was cleaning the ones tank and Hiccups beard got as black as I have every seen it --- oops - Blaze was moved immediately --- other than that they are always out separately - each gets their own lovins time -- I would never keep two dragons together --- as Brandon said they are a dominant animal and the weaker one will not do as good health wise
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My current two = Caesar and Cleo , supposedly siblings , she's about 1/2 size of her "brother" but bosses him around and always assumes the highest location when out together.

He wont stay on me if she's on me, wants off, all it takes is a stare.

He loves floor fun time , and snuggles ( especially a mummies boy is Caesar ) , but likes circulating between us for petting , attention and snuggles.
He's very food orientated , loves mealworm lavae, pupae and beetles, and superworms , and crickets and BSFL if I give them by hand one at a time.Not keen on greens ( so I give inside the crickets as gutloading)

She is not so fussed about floor time, but loves being on the lounge next to me and likes to climb up onto my shoulder and behind the back of my neck .
She LOVES CRICKETS !!! not fussed with mealworms unless I give them by hand , the pupae she likes more. Superworms she refuses.

Loves to bask as close as she can get to the UV source. Sleeps at the same spot most nights too.

He loves his warm hide ( under the hubbahut on the heatslab ( 35 degC ) , sleeps there most nights.

Every pet lizard I've had has had a unique personality and individual querks.

If you are dead set on having more than 1 dragon : consider a colony of Jacky Dragons, or Rankins Dragons or Netted Dragons , they are much more social and tolerant of one another , be careful to have ONLY ONE MALE in the mixed colony though else blood will be spilt.

oliver21917

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2uv20qjh said:
My current two = Caesar and Cleo , supposedly siblings , she's about 1/2 size of her "brother" but bosses him around and always assumes the highest location when out together.

He wont stay on me if she's on me, wants off, all it takes is a stare.

He loves floor fun time , and snuggles ( especially a mummies boy is Caesar ) , but likes circulating between us for petting , attention and snuggles.
He's very food orientated , loves mealworm lavae, pupae and beetles, and superworms , and crickets and BSFL if I give them by hand one at a time.Not keen on greens ( so I give inside the crickets as gutloading)

She is not so fussed about floor time, but loves being on the lounge next to me and likes to climb up onto my shoulder and behind the back of my neck .
She LOVES CRICKETS !!! not fussed with mealworms unless I give them by hand , the pupae she likes more. Superworms she refuses.

Loves to bask as close as she can get to the UV source. Sleeps at the same spot most nights too.

He loves his warm hide ( under the hubbahut on the heatslab ( 35 degC ) , sleeps there most nights.

Every pet lizard I've had has had a unique personality and individual querks.

If you are dead set on having more than dragon : consider a colony of Jacky Dragons, or Rankins Dragons or Netted Dragons , they are much more social and tolerant of one another , be careful to have ONLY ONE MALE in the mixed colony though else blood will be spilt.

Thank you for your reply! I currently already have one adult male who has his own tank, and the new one will be kept separate from him as mentioned in my initial post.

oliver21917

Original Poster
Claudiusx":e67nkuuv said:

-Brandon

Thank you for your reply!

Have you ever had any issues with one of your males having prolapses due to them wanting to mate? Or a female being egg bound? These are my two biggest concerns with getting one that’s a female.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom