Ardie, Your Back......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
I noticed today that whenever Ardie is pressing himself up against that corner (he really likes doing that these past few days for some reason o_O), he has this MASSIVE DENT at his lumbar spine just like this:

qBYIsFK.jpg

He never did that before when he pressed up to the glass, and he definitely weighs more today (qualitatively speaking, since I still haven't been able to grab a new small scale). So can anyone tell me if this is normal or if it's something to be concerned about?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's common for them to prop themselves up like that. Especially against glass. It sometimes indicates they are curious and want to get out to explore what's on the other side. I'm not sure what you mean by massive dent though. Are you seeing signs of an injury? Or describing how his back flexes to be upright like that?

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
CooperDragon":ir5tct7a said:
It's common for them to prop themselves up like that. Especially against glass. It sometimes indicates they are curious and want to get out to explore what's on the other side. I'm not sure what you mean by massive dent though. Are you seeing signs of an injury? Or describing how his back flexes to be upright like that?

I know about the standing up thing (he's done plenty enough times and usually my cue to take him out exploring, lol), but what I meant by the "dent" is that his lower back, if you look closely, actually bends pretty far inwards enough I was worried if he somehow got his back broken (it was fine). Previously when he stood up, his back kept a natural bend. This time it's a sharper bend in.

Are beardies actually so flexible they can sort of "fold" themselves backwards sometimes when they do this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are very flexible in general. I wouldn't worry about the bend if it straightens out and looks normal when he goes back down and sits put or is walking around. An x-ray would help reveal any problems, but I don't think that is necessary unless you see his back misshapen when he isn't standing upright or if he seems to have pain or trouble moving about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom