Slightly different behavior, lump on stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Hey everyone. My beardie, Tokyo, is curreny roughly 7 months old. He is 17 3/4" long, and has an awesome appetite. I'm taking him to a vet in 6 days because he's been having loose stool for a few weeks and everything I've done didn't really change anything. During the past 2 days he hasn't been as active. He still has a great appetite, doesn't black beard, and just finished shedding. Normally when I place him on the ground he starts running and exploring. Maybe he just grew out of that? He also took his first few naps ever. Maybe that's a sign of lethargy?

If he does end up having parasites, which types of meds should I steer clear of? I've read on this forum that beardies have been hurt bevause of too-harsh medication and what not. Should I be concerned about that?

Also, I realized that after feeding him his belly seems to droop down on the right side. I can try to illustrate it if that would help (he doesn't seem to have it now that its been some time after I fed him).

Final question: I know that beardies grow super fast at some point. At this age how fast do you think he should be growing? (If that's a valid question)

Thank you for the help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They go through phases throughout their lives and through the seasons, so he may just be going through a sleepy phase. It's probably worth having the loose stool tested, but I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot. If a high count of a parasite is detected, then treatment can be done. The type of meds used depends on the parasites detected (if any). I would steer clear of sulfa drugs such as Albon. Those are the harsh ones you were mentioning. They are usually prescribed to treat coccidia, but using Ponazuril tends to be effective and less harsh in these cases based on what I've read.

As far as the lump goes, does it just appear after a meal and go away after a while? You may just be seeing the food move through the GI tract which runs along the side of their belly.

zachburnav

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah the lump comes and goes as far as Ive seen. It might appear one side for a few minutes then guess to the other. It only happens are feeding and goes away pretty quick. Also the behavior got better, maybe he was just lazy during a few rainy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom