Bearded dragon foot turning dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
109014-2759909369.jpg
Heyoo so my bearded dragon had lost one of his nails and now I’ve noticed that the toe is darkening and also that the other foot is darkening and has a crooked tail. I take great care of him, dubia roaches, baths every 2-3 days, 12 hour light cycles, good temps and humidity. I am just not sure what it could be, he still has one hell of an appetite though so I’m not sure
109014-7587194466.jpg
109014-3077296592.jpg
109014-6269907295.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you try to post a picture for us, that would help out.
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, your temperatures
& how you measure the temperatures, & a picture of his setup also.

Tracie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
As for the specs of the heat lamp I know it’s a 120 watt and not sure on the uvb light, I use both the dehumidifiers to keep the humidity low for him. Any other questions I’d be glad to answer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry I am not seeing it unless its on another post elsewhere
Karrie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3lpwr62c said:
I am sorry I am not seeing it unless its on another post elsewhere
Karrie
As of right now the crooked nail has come off and he is bleeding on that one toe and he is also shedding, I am not sure what to do. I also don't think that their is a reptile vet where I live.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the first thing you need to do is get rid of the coil UVB --- they are inadequate ---- please order this ASAP or go look in your petstores most do not carry the length of the fixture I am recommending
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" -- the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it it is considered a T 8 placement and distance would be different -
I am going to enlist some help on the medical issues but please get the new UVB
Karrie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
If I may ask, what does UVB have to do with the problems my Bearded Dragon is facing with his nails and bleeding toes?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB is extremely important for all over all health -- for one the biggest is MBD -- and then there RI -- amongst many others --- at this point the coil is not giving off enough if any at all here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Karrie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
That makes a good amount of sense, I will see about getting one of them for sure. My only thing though is that humidity is an issue and also how would I have the basking light in there if the UVB is covering the entire area? Also what could I do about his bleeding toe.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, my guess would be that he got his toe caught on something which the hammock is a likely culprit. I would remove it personally. You can put in a plush toy if you want something soft for him to sit on there. You can used betadine [which you can get at walmart or a drug store] on the toes, dilute it 50/50 with water. When it dries put non pain relief Neosporin on and it should be fine. :)

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
Thank you guys very much, I will look into all of your guy's suggestions, and thank you again for recommending the Betadine and I proably will remove the hammock, he liked it when he was smaller he would just plump his fat body on their and give his arms and legs a rest lol. Thanks again everybody!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would downsize the dome you have to one single dome -- when you get your new UVB let us know so we can help you get it placed distance and placement on the tank --- it needs certain distance and placement
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom