Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been a long time since I have ever written on here. Life has been rough and hard. My sweet boy recently had coccidia and whipworms through a routine fecal exam and an exotic exam back in August. He was prescribed Albon and Panacur. I have added BeneBac Probiotics and he eats slurries. He will eat bugs without issues.

On one of his medication doses, he bit down on a syringe and caused an injury to his mouth. I shared the photo with a good friend and she said it was granulation tissue and to use chlorhexidine. So I went ahead, contacted his vet and he gave me Novalsan 1%. I showed the vet tech the photo of his granulation tissue. She looked at it. I was hoping that she would show the photo to the vet, but she didn't. But regardless, I treated his mouth twice a day. It was getting better, but he keeps biting it. I ran out of Novalsan and had the chlorhexidine 2% from bearded dragon . co come in and I resumed cleaning his mouth and his teeth.

He has been eating slurries and has not given me a good poop since he won't eat solid greens yet. I have tried the tough love method of withholding bugs, but it's not working.
His activity level's still the same.
Here's what he's getting in a slurry.

Dandelion Green Leaf Powder
Spirulina
Babyfood Butternut squash
Springwater

His UVB is brand new.

His feeders are
Dubia roaches
Hornworms- twice every other day for hydration- he has been having some pooing and hydration issues involving two slight prolapses (which I informed the vet about his granulation tissue and his movements.) The slight prolapses went back in on their own and was told to keep an eye on him. His urates are now normal. Not hard or chalky.

I've ordered silkworms and silkworm chow. Should be tomorrow when they arrive.

I cannot upload a photo of his mouth. I don't know how.

I have heard that raw honey would help his granulation tissue and if you ever dealt with granulation tissue, can you please tell me how long it will take to heal fully? And how many times can I use honey to his wound or should I stick with Chlorhexidine? I just want him back to his usual self and eating habits.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok good thank you I have flagged your post to the people I posted -- Tracie is on late at nite and AHBD is on and off during the day
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That does look a bit swollen, but hopefully with the chlorhexidine and raw honey it will not become infected and heal up. The location makes it difficult to avoid irritation, especially while eating, so it may take a bit of time to heal completely. Soft foods and keeping it clean with the chlorhexidine and dabbing some raw honey on it should help it heal up eventually.

CaptainBlackbeard

Original Poster
CooperDragon":aagj3mlt said:
That does look a bit swollen, but hopefully with the chlorhexidine and raw honey it will not become infected and heal up. The location makes it difficult to avoid irritation, especially while eating, so it may take a bit of time to heal completely. Soft foods and keeping it clean with the chlorhexidine and dabbing some raw honey on it should help it heal up eventually.

He had his first swab of warmed local honey and licked it off. He really enjoyed that. I've been worried about it getting worse. He keeps rubbing his boo-boo on the glass. I need to clean it now because it may itch.

I will keep the soft foods going.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry that your boy got injured like that. I agree with Cooper all you can do is keep treating it with both the chlorhex. as well as the honey. They do enjoy honey though, and it's good for them all around and helps with constipation. :) It's good that he's still eating, hopefully won't need any more meds. If he tries to bite the syringe when you feed him slurries then discontinue them altogether. Give him finely chopped greens with a little drizzle of raw honey on top. Be sure it's actual raw + unpasteurized otherwise it does not have the healing properties. If he ever needs meds. again try injecting them in to a hornworm or super worm so he just eats it right down.

CaptainBlackbeard

Original Poster
AHBD":2s96v1pr said:
Sorry that your boy got injured like that. I agree with Cooper all you can do is keep treating it with both the chlorhex. as well as the honey. They do enjoy honey though, and it's good for them all around and helps with constipation. :) It's good that he's still eating, hopefully won't need any more meds. If he tries to bite the syringe when you feed him slurries then discontinue them altogether. Give him finely chopped greens with a little drizzle of raw honey on top. Be sure it's actual raw + unpasteurized otherwise it does not have the healing properties. If he ever needs meds. again try injecting them in to a hornworm or super worm so he just eats it right down.

I hope he doesn't need any more harsh meds. I'm allergic to sulfa, so I was lucky that I got zero on my hands. Plus, I wear gloves when I clean his messes and handle his feeders. (Except the roaches. He will eat them off my finger without mistakening it for a roach.

I will give him finely chopped greens at all times.

I buy pure raw honey from a beekeeper. It also crystalized so I have to warm it up first before using it. I love the taste of raw honey when I sweeten my green tea. It sure helps with sore throats, coughs.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Now I would love to have seen him tear up those paper towels, do you have a video of
that?
I bet that area on his mouth is sore, poor thing! I agree, all you can really do at the moment
is try to keep it from getting any worse with the raw honey & nolvasan, etc.
His setup looks fine to me also. Does he have trouble chewing right now?
I hope he doesn't have to go back on meds either, they can really be hard on them if they are
on repeatedly.
I hope he likes the silkworms!

Tracie

CaptainBlackbeard

Original Poster
Drache613":2gmmpour said:
Hello,

Now I would love to have seen him tear up those paper towels, do you have a video of
that?
I bet that area on his mouth is sore, poor thing! I agree, all you can really do at the moment
is try to keep it from getting any worse with the raw honey & nolvasan, etc.
His setup looks fine to me also. Does he have trouble chewing right now?
I hope he doesn't have to go back on meds either, they can really be hard on them if they are
on repeatedly.
I hope he likes the silkworms!

Tracie

I'm afraid not. Yes. He doesn't have any trouble chewing the soft hornworms.

I don't know how fast honey works, but I have noticed a change in appearance in his sore since three dabs of honey and one of chlorhexidine.. (I don't have photos yet.) He woke up on the right of the bed today. And made a mess of his offered finely chopped dandelion greens, sprinkle of bee pollen, and springwater.

Thank you. I'll upload some photos if he'll let me. He's watching "Bad Ink". lol. He's a TV holic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom