Brumation in central Florida?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Recently Link hasn’t been himself. He’s sleeping or huddled in a corner a lot more. He also looks a bit darker? The past two days he hasn’t eaten much. He went from pooping every other day to pooping once a week or so. When I take him out of his tank, he gets mad at me and turns black. He doesn’t bite or hiss though. I haven’t changed anything in his tank. All I can think of right now is he might be going into brumation? He turned 1 about a month or two ago and this is my first time having a beardie during brumation time. I wasn’t sure he would do this since we live in central Florida and it doesn’t get cold here until January.

Here’s some pics of him huddled in his corner:
106536-3195477589.jpg
106536-3697028207.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks to be a good size and I don't see signs of distress. This certainly could be brumation. I'm not exactly sure what triggers it, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the weather outside. My guy has gone into brumation in the middle of summer when it is 90+ outside with bright sun and been wide awake when it is single digits in the middle of winter. If all else seems well, just keep track of his weight and let him do his thing. He should perk back up again when he's ready.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":22pen4lp said:
He looks to be a good size and I don't see signs of distress. This certainly could be brumation. I'm not exactly sure what triggers it, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the weather outside. My guy has gone into brumation in the middle of summer when it is 90+ outside with bright sun and been wide awake when it is single digits in the middle of winter. If all else seems well, just keep track of his weight and let him do his thing. He should perk back up again when he's ready.

Should I continue as normal? His lights turn on at 6:45am and turn off at 6:45pm, they’re on a timer. I usually give him greens and super worms during the day. Should I keep offering food? And should I be looking for poop or helping him poop?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually keep the lights on a normal schedule, but I let my guy hide and sleep through it if he wants to. I do continue to offer food if he is awake, but he usually ignores it or takes a very small amount. Poops will become much less frequent but if you take him out for a bit on days he is awake to get a weight measurement and offer some water, you can give him a chance to poop as well. Not something to force though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom