I need help with my beardie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had Scuttlebutt for almost a year now and he has developed some odd spots that I’m concerned about... he has a spot on his front leg that is greyish in color, a brownish black spot on his head in front of his eye, a whitish pale spot just below his neck and a very odd concerning looking tail at the end.

He lives in a wood tank with plexiglass sliding doors. He eats kale, collard greens, bell peppers, carrots and cucumber salad in the morning and black soldier fly larvae in the evening.

Please Help!!

109415-1357479482.jpg
109415-1706320062.jpg
109415-6153972419.jpg
109415-4906369722.jpg

Edit: sorry it’s really hard to see the spots in the pictures -_-

This is the bulb. It works as a uv and heat...

109415-3594979630.jpg
109415-6765907979.jpg

I have another heat lamp that uses ceramic bulbs but it doesn’t generate any light and if I turn it on with the other one above it gets way too hot...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not sure what any of those things are you have pointed out--- what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb please coil or tube ? What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons-- your dragon looks thin -- I would start adding another staple feeder and some worms to his diet -- how are his poops ? They should be firm moist and dark and urate should be formed moist and white -- if you need help w/ more feeders I can post some websites for you in the meantime we need AHBD to address the issues that you posted about
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's just normal wear + tear from a creature that lives it's life on the ground climbing on ,under and over various cage decor. You can keep an eye on the tail but it's not of concern at all right now. BTW, he looks healthy + alert but a bit thin, add some other insects like a few ssuperworms crickets or dubias to his diet or some Repashy prepared food like bug burger or grub pie can be used once in a while too.

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fnj3gtn said:
Not sure what any of those things are you have pointed out--- what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb please coil or tube ? What are your basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons-- your dragon looks thin -- I would start adding another staple feeder and some worms to his diet -- how are his poops ? They should be firm moist and dark and urate should be formed moist and white -- if you need help w/ more feeders I can post some websites for you in the meantime we need AHBD to address the issues that you posted about
Karrie
Thank you, I’m not entirely sure what it is that I’m using for the uv bulb I can take a picture if you’d like and maybe you’ve seen it and can say what it is?? I’m sorry... I’m using a hygro-thermo meter from thrive to take the temps and what not. His poops have been as you described. For the feeders, I’ve done a little bit of research on the larvae I’m using and it’s supposed to be the best possible larvae I can get and also a natural staple feeder so I’ve just been giving him that... sorry I couldn’t be more help for your lighting question... I’m really new to this and the last beardies I had didn’t make it past a few months. Scuttlebutt is the first I’ve had to get bigger than my hand...

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
AHBD":3f998jst said:
Hi there, that's just normal wear + tear from a creature that lives it's life on the ground climbing on ,under and over various cage decor. You can keep an eye on the tail but it's not of concern at all right now. BTW, he looks healthy + alert but a bit thin, add some other insects like a few ssuperworms crickets or dubias to his diet or some Repashy prepared food like bug burger or grub pie can be used once in a while too.
I thought he had just scratched himself on his rock at first and it was just like a scar or something but if I try to really look at it he freaks out and I think it hurts him... he’s been really tired lately sleeping during the day and not eating as much as usual... is that something to be concerned about? I’m pretty new to this as my previous baby beardies didn’t make it past a few months. I’ve had Scutt for almost a year now and he’s never done this before... idk what to do...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The most important thing in that tank is basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate - next is that UVB please take a pic of it on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is -- if its a coil one that sits in dome you need to replace it w/ this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" these sell out very quickly - they have a hard time keeping them in stock --this fixture is good for a 40 + gallon tank and you would need this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb -- the fixture comes w/ 5.0 bulb hang on to it it is equivalent to a T 8 distance and placement in the tank would be the difference ---
you need to get a digital probe it looks like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
You need to get these ASAP--- your dragon will not eat w/ out the correct basking temps and proper UVB --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They generally pull away if you grab their leg, it's just a protective reflex. How big is Scuttler ? And do post pics of your exact bulbs you're using, if there's any writing on them what does it say ? BTW, do you dust the worms with calcium powder , if so how often ?

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
AHBD":1scoyhra said:
They generally pull away if you grab their leg, it's just a protective reflex. How big is Scuttler ? And do post pics of your exact bulbs you're using, if there's any writing on them what does it say ? BTW, do you dust the worms with calcium powder , if so how often ?

He will let me do whatever I want with his legs it’s just when I accidentally touch the greyish spot he freaks out and does this scratching thing... I don’t dust them. All the nutritional facts and stuff say that there is plenty of calcium and all the other stuff already in them which is what makes them natural staple feeders

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
KarrieRee":19sh3snf said:
The most important thing in that tank is basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate - next is that UVB please take a pic of it on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is -- if its a coil one that sits in dome you need to replace it w/ this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" these sell out very quickly - they have a hard time keeping them in stock --this fixture is good for a 40 + gallon tank and you would need this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb -- the fixture comes w/ 5.0 bulb hang on to it it is equivalent to a T 8 distance and placement in the tank would be the difference ---
you need to get a digital probe it looks like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
You need to get these ASAP--- your dragon will not eat w/ out the correct basking temps and proper UVB --
Karrie

I posted the pics on the first post thing. I have a dual dome thing but it uses coils, it’s not in use right now...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those worms still need calcium with D3. If a person's uvb bulb is not strong it has the potential to cause serious calcium deficiency.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And you need a good UVB the coils are no good -- please replace w/ what I posted or your gonna have one sick dragon --- at this point hes getting NO UVB --- the most important thing in the tank is good UVB and correct basking temps - taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB is going to help him absorb the calcium he gets and protect from other health issues as well
Karrie

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
AHBD":1ja9xk1l said:
Those worms still need calcium with D3. If a person's uvb bulb is not strong it has the potential to cause serious calcium deficiency.

This is what I have, which do you recommend?
109415-6394229070.jpg
The bottles are liquid calcium and the other is liquid vitamin in case it’s hard to read...

Scuttlebuttsmom

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fff0nug said:
And you need a good UVB the coils are no good -- please replace w/ what I posted or your gonna have one sick dragon --- at this point hes getting NO UVB --- the most important thing in the tank is good UVB and correct basking temps - taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- your UVB is going to help him absorb the calcium he gets and protect from other health issues as well
Karrie

Thank you so much for your help I will definitely get the ones you recommended. Does it matter inside or outside the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Depending on the screen you have will depend on if it can go on top of screen -- if its wide holed like a dime or similar it can go on top w/ distance of 8-10 inches directly over head -- if its a fine screen like a screen door it would need to go inside w/ basking distance 12-15 inches above basking decor
the Repti calcium has D3 in it? That is the one I use - you should have a Vitamin w/ beta carotene -- if hes eating vegies regularly you dont haft to worry so much about the vitamins because hes gonna get the nutrients he needs from them and I read and heard kale was really good -- offer a variety of veggies
here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom