Some concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hellooo! I’m visiting a vet in a few days just to make sure he’s all healthy, but there are a few concerns I have that I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are something to worry about or not. Here are a few blurry pics and what I’m worried about. Notice I got him like this and have been doing my best to care for him.
109349-9234463838.jpg
109349-9877294679.jpg
-The very tip of his tail is black and just looks dead, and now the rest of his tail is turning black
-His color isn’t very vibrant and it seems like all his scales except for one part of his tail is foggy and dull
-He suddenly isn’t eating much and is less active
-He’ll breathe heavily a few times every so often, and has made a little squeak like noise which was sort of like he was trying to cough a couple of times

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Can you post another pic of the end of the tail please-- it looks like it has a injury or something but a better pic would be good
Please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb and coil or tube and where in the tank --
Basking temps and how are you taking them please -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Karrie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
Apologies I’m not home right now so I can’t take pics, though I can answer about his lights. The bulbs are from Thrive, his full spectrum light/regular light is a coil and his basking light is a bulb that gets wider towards the end of it. I use digital thermometers from zoo med, and his temperatures are 90 degrees (basking area) and 75 degrees (color side). I have the basking light on one side of the tank and the other light on the other side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the bulb coil is a 13 Watt I am guessing and the basking light is a bright white bulb ?? I am gonna say you need to get rid of the coil thrive bulb-- they are inadequate and are no good -- please replace w/ this if your tank is 40+ gallons
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you can hang on to it for a back up it is equivalent to a T 8 distance in tank would be different from the bulb I am recommending
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html
These are the best on the market at this time-- please call and find out shipping times before you order they are out of CA -- 916-226-4089
If you can find the fixture and bulb around your area that would be good if not you can look around some more - Most places are out of stock - my go to place is out and they have a hard time keeping these fixtures and bulbs in stock--
Basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- juvie/ adult 95-110-- what wattage are you using for the basking light ? Cool side of tank should be in the 80's during the day not below 65 at nite
Karrie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
The light coil is around 20 watts I think and his basking light is 100 watts. So I should just replace the coil light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so replace the coil UVB --- it is no good - especially in the larger tanks -- the basking light needs to be able to keep temps 95-110 for a juvenile / adult dragon -- the 90 degrees is not hot enough - ok so here is what I would do -- when you get the UVB replaced it needs to go inside the tank for a fine screen like a screen door - if its wide holed like a dime or similar it can stay on top so we need to determine that when you get the UVB - I would set the tank up w/ the basking area on one end w/ a good piece of decor like this or similar https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 doesnt haft to be this piece it offers a good gradient heat for him and he will be able to pick the spot he wants to bask - in the meantime you need to get your basking temps up -- work on that and get your UVB situated - once you get these in place and in check his behavior will change
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes better than the coil-- at this point the coil is not providing adequate UVB if any at all --- he can go a few days w/ out the UVB -- if need be you can get him outside if your temps are above 65 - place him in a plastic tote NO Glass -- set him in direct sunlight/ partial shade for 15 minutes - no longer if its really hot you dont want to burn him up -- supervise him - you can do this several times / day - if he sits on you really good then have him sit on you for however long you can stand the heat -- just dont loose him --- they do have a tendency to get startled and run - that is why I suggested the tote - please keep me posted
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I just wanted to add that the tail looks fine, might be going in to shed. I would be concerned about the odd breathing, since his basking temp. is only 90 he may be developing a respiratory infection. Get the heat fixed ASAP and hopefully he'll be O.K.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, his tail looks fine to me as well, maybe some shedding coming on. Their tails seem
to turn a little darker right before they shed. It should lighten up as it dries up & sheds off.
The Thrive light is an off brand so it likely not emitting good UVB. The Reptisun 10 tube or
the Arcadia D3 12% tube are both good. We normally recommend using the T5 high output
tube because it lasts longer & is a much better bulb than the T8.

Tracie

Monstermutt

Original Poster
KarrieRee":s53z1wwn said:
Yes better than the coil-- at this point the coil is not providing adequate UVB if any at all --- he can go a few days w/ out the UVB -- if need be you can get him outside if your temps are above 65 - place him in a plastic tote NO Glass -- set him in direct sunlight/ partial shade for 15 minutes - no longer if its really hot you dont want to burn him up -- supervise him - you can do this several times / day - if he sits on you really good then have him sit on you for however long you can stand the heat -- just dont loose him --- they do have a tendency to get startled and run - that is why I suggested the tote - please keep me posted
Karrie
Just a little update, I got him some better lights. He has a exo terra intense basking light and a reptisun 10.0 t8 and him temperatures are now 103 and 82. Are my temperatures good now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom