Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viola

my bearded dragon skin it turning colors lke lighter color such as white and black! Does this just mean she is going trugh sheding? little side note it is only on her stomic.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes it can indicate shedding. Shedding skin will often turn lighter color like gray or white. Then eventually peel off and bright new skin will appear underneath. Sometimes this happens all at once, and sometimes (especially as they get older) it happens in patches - even down to a single scale or spike at a time sometimes. It's important not to interfere with or pick at sheds. Providing them with something relatively rough like wood or a piece of carpet etc to rub up against can be helpful to them when shedding.

Another reason for them to change color is to either deflect (lighten) heat/light or to absorb (darken) heat/light. This happens a lot when they are basking or moving between areas of different temperature. They are very good at making the most of light and heat and will move around & change color to adjust their temps as needed.

Changes in color can also indicate mood. This is usually noticed most along their beard. A very dark black beard may indicate that they are irritated or grumpy or not feeling well (sometimes they are grumpy in the morning right when they wake up, just like us). If they have a bright beard with white colors and often natural orange or yellow coloring, it tends to indicate that they are happy or content. This is one of the many visual indicators that you'll wind up using to determine their mood and personality over the years.

viola

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ef5zlkh said:
Sometimes it can indicate shedding. Shedding skin will often turn lighter color like gray or white. Then eventually peel off and bright new skin will appear underneath. Sometimes this happens all at once, and sometimes (especially as they get older) it happens in patches - even down to a single scale or spike at a time sometimes. It's important not to interfere with or pick at sheds. Providing them with something relatively rough like wood or a piece of carpet etc to rub up against can be helpful to them when shedding.

Another reason for them to change color is to either deflect (lighten) heat/light or to absorb (darken) heat/light. This happens a lot when they are basking or moving between areas of different temperature. They are very good at making the most of light and heat and will move around & change color to adjust their temps as needed.

Changes in color can also indicate mood. This is usually noticed most along their beard. A very dark black beard may indicate that they are irritated or grumpy or not feeling well (sometimes they are grumpy in the morning right when they wake up, just like us). If they have a bright beard with white colors and often natural orange or yellow coloring, it tends to indicate that they are happy or content. This is one of the many visual indicators that you'll wind up using to determine their mood and personality over the years.
Thank you so much this really helped :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom