Bearded dragon has not been eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I am new to this website but its always helped me raise my beardie. I have a 2 year old male bearded dragon. He recently has stopped eating and is more often on the cool side of his tank hidden in a corner. He puffs up his beard and gets angry when I come near his cage. I am just worried because this is not like him at all. I changed out his heat lamp a couple days ago because it was getting old and his basking side was only reading 95. He has had his new bulb for about three days now and is reading 100-105. His diet is mostly greens with an occasional one or two horned worm as a treat. I would say he is stressed because of our move, but that was two months ago and he just recently stopped eating and was showing dominant behavior. He passed stool about a week ago, it was a regular log with urate, it was just a bit smaller than it usually is. My only guess as to why he's acting funny is that hes going into brumation. A family friend of mine who's husband is a herpetologist suggested maybe he's just maturing and practicing puffing out his beard or defending his territory. Its just concerning me that hes not eating!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Older dragons usually do not like real hot basking temps - its good to offer them a gradient heat - a nice log that offers different areas to sit stand or lay would offer that - next you mentioned nothing about a UVB--- what brand and bulb is it a coil or tube and where in the tank is it? It could be possible brumation but the behavior hes exhibiting is not normal brumation behavior
Karrie

autumncrisafulli

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1s2gfxso said:
Older dragons usually do not like real hot basking temps - its good to offer them a gradient heat - a nice log that offers different areas to sit stand or lay would offer that - next you mentioned nothing about a UVB--- what brand and bulb is it a coil or tube and where in the tank is it? It could be possible brumation but the behavior he's exhibiting is not normal brumation behavior
Karrie
In his smaller dome (on the cool side by the hammok) he has a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB, 10% UVB Output, 30% UVA Output, full spectrum bulb (Its fairly new about 2 months). The dome above his log is his heating lamp, its Zoo Med PowerSun UV Bulb, it says that it has uva and uvb but I don't trust that so I like to have a coil in there strictly for UVB. I'm also realizing that its breeding season and this could be a cause of his behavior as to why hes acting dominant. I have another female beardie so I'm thinking this is the cause of his behavior. I'll still probably bring him to the vet for our yearly checkup because the lack of his appetite is still a little concerning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So the coil is whats causing the issue I am gonna say -- get rid of the coil- next the Repitsun 10.0 is a T 8? And as far as I know breeding season is in the spring early summer - but brumation could be setting in but we need to find out for sure if it the UVB's causing the issues --- placement of the Reptisun is key here -- plus what is the screen like on the tank fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole like dime or similar?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom