New Baby Bearded Dragon not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiAshura

Hi! So last Thursday(7/9/20) my first baby bearded dragon arrived from undergroundreptiles. I made sure that its conditions were correct. Its basking spot is roughly 105 degrees and the I try to maintain a temperature of 90 throughout its enclosure, of course besides its basking spot. It has been about four days since it has arrived and it hasn't ate once. I've tried to offer it a Dubia roach everyday as well as collared greens shredded really small but it has ignored any of my attempts to feed it. I've tried hand feeding, with tongs and as well as leaving the food in its enclosure. However it won't eat. Today it was a lot more active and usual and I handled it for awhile and it didn't seem to be as stressed as before. So I'm not sure if its still going through relocation stress or what but I know I'm extremely stressed out and worried about it not eating. Is this normal? I've heard numerous numbers for how long it takes for them to eat. I was told 3 days max by some and others up to week. I'm just unsure and concerned for its health considering I hear so much about how babies need to eat a lot. I see that it was unwise for me to get a baby bearded dragon as my first reptile, I guess part of me wanted to witness it growing up and what not. Any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No its good you got a baby :) Lets go over the lighting in the tank I can already tell you need a basking spot of which temps should be 105--110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - you need a warm spot which would be around 90's or so AND you need a cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- hes too hot w/a tank all 90+ -- get your cool side down to 80's --- next what are you using for a UVB? NO coils!!!!!!!!!!! Brand and bulb please --- he is going to go thru relocation stress and yes they will slow on eating but he should NOT quit eating all together -- little is better than none -- it could take a few weeks for him to be fully chowing down - it could take him a few days but you want him eating something -- your basking temps and your UVB are crucial in that tank --- he needs hydration I recommend no bathing it will stress him out - drop water on his nose or mist him w/ a spray bottle - handle a little bit at a time - you want him to adjust to his surroundings and get settled in --- try hand feeding him a worm before serving him his salads in the morning - you can get some BSFL to add to the tops of his salads - small super worms -- there are all kinds of worms but so many people are out of these worms - you can go here www.dubiaroaches and get some small super worms and some nutri grubs or BSFL and some horn worms but they must come small as they grow really fast - I might hold off on those but you can get the worms I also would recommend silk worms too but cant find them now either -- when dubia roaches are shipping again I recommend getting him some roaches -- they are easier to work w/ and easier to keep than crickets -- please tell me what your using for a UVB
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3933rkzd said:
No its good you got a baby :) Lets go over the lighting in the tank I can already tell you need a basking spot of which temps should be 105--110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - you need a warm spot which would be around 90's or so AND you need a cool side of the tank 80's during the day -- hes too hot w/a tank all 90+ -- get your cool side down to 80's --- next what are you using for a UVB? NO coils!!!!!!!!!!! Brand and bulb please --- he is going to go thru relocation stress and yes they will slow on eating but he should NOT quit eating all together -- little is better than none -- it could take a few weeks for him to be fully chowing down - it could take him a few days but you want him eating something -- your basking temps and your UVB are crucial in that tank --- he needs hydration I recommend no bathing it will stress him out - drop water on his nose or mist him w/ a spray bottle - handle a little bit at a time - you want him to adjust to his surroundings and get settled in --- try hand feeding him a worm before serving him his salads in the morning - you can get some BSFL to add to the tops of his salads - small super worms -- there are all kinds of worms but so many people are out of these worms - you can go here http://www.dubiaroaches and get some small super worms and some nutri grubs or BSFL and some horn worms but they must come small as they grow really fast - I might hold off on those but you can get the worms I also would recommend silk worms too but cant find them now either -- when dubia roaches are shipping again I recommend getting him some roaches -- they are easier to work w/ and easier to keep than crickets -- please tell me what your using for a UVB
Karrie

Hi firstly thanks so much for the response.
I'm currently using the Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture. I have taken out the little screen as I heard that might block some of the UVB. So I've taken your advice and I'm now making his cool side roughly 80-85 degrees. I mist him every morning and today was my first handling him. I will probably try to handle him more often. He still has not ate a single thing since arriving, could this maybe because I was keeping his whole enclosure too hot? I think I'll try feeding him later tonight. I put him in a little bowl with two dubia roaches and he just ignored them as they walked around him. And for silkworms, I should have some small ones on the way soon. I ordered them after hearing a lot of good things about them. If he refuses to eat anything tomorrow as well do you think I should be concerned at that point?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Where is your slimline? I recommend you get this bulb for your fixture a Reptisun 10.0 T 8-- but first tell me what size is the tank? If it's a 40 gallon get the 10.0 - if your tank is smaller use the bulb you have- it's not as strong but will be fine for the smaller tank--- but you need to have no screen blocking the UVB- so no plastic cover and no screen and a piece of decor directly underneath it- if your tank is 40 or bigger it needs to go inside the tank
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2esh78j0 said:
Where is your slimline? I recommend you get this bulb for your fixture a Reptisun 10.0 T 8-- but first tell me what size is the tank? If it's a 40 gallon get the 10.0 - if your tank is smaller use the bulb you have- it's not as strong but will be fine for the smaller tank--- but you need to have no screen blocking the UVB- so no plastic cover and no screen and a piece of decor directly underneath it- if your tank is 40 or bigger it needs to go inside the tank
Karrie

Here is a picture of it, the slimline is there in the front above like a plastic mesh top or something I don't know what its called haha. But the tank is 20 gallons.

https://ibb.co/2gtSHsL

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you need that UVB unobstructed --- no screen between the UVB and his basking decor piece and no plastic cover over the bulb - take it off you want the bulb naked-- put the basking decor piece directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches from it -- when you upgrade your tank I recommend a 75-120 gallon tank your going to want to upgrade the bulb and the UVB fixture as well -- if you go to a 40 you will end up upgrading again - an adult dragon needs a 75 120 gallon tank - 40 is minimum --- you can go w/ a 40 but then you would need to get him out a lot -- I would start looking on Craigslist or FB marketplace - try and find one w/ front doors - they are easier to work w/ - in the meantime get your UVB situated then watch his behavior and his eating --- his basking temps what are they? And temps need to be taken w/a digital thermometer or a infrared heat gun --- NO stick ons It is harder to get temps in those tanks because they are small --- what wattage are you using? I had a 20 gallon and used a 75 watt --
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":6kun0at2 said:
Ok so you need that UVB unobstructed --- no screen between the UVB and his basking decor piece and no plastic cover over the bulb - take it off you want the bulb naked-- put the basking decor piece directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches from it -- when you upgrade your tank I recommend a 75-120 gallon tank your going to want to upgrade the bulb and the UVB fixture as well -- if you go to a 40 you will end up upgrading again - an adult dragon needs a 75 120 gallon tank - 40 is minimum --- you can go w/ a 40 but then you would need to get him out a lot -- I would start looking on Craigslist or FB marketplace - try and find one w/ front doors - they are easier to work w/ - in the meantime get your UVB situated then watch his behavior and his eating --- his basking temps what are they? And temps need to be taken w/a digital thermometer or a infrared heat gun --- NO stick ons It is harder to get temps in those tanks because they are small --- what wattage are you using? I had a 20 gallon and used a 75 watt --
Karrie

Thanks! I'm planning on getting a 75 gallon once he grows up. Using the digital thermometer I got that his basking temp was 105ish degrees. I'm also using a 75 watt bulb. I also corrected the uvb to make sure that its directly going into the enclosure and onto his basking decor. I think he's sleeping now, so I'll make sure to monitor him tomorrow and see if he'll finally eat! Once again thank you for all your help I'm really hoping he will eat tomorrow. He hasn't eaten a thing and its stressing me out thinking he must be malnourished.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok how long have you had him? And you are not using any colored bulbs correct? They like darkness and cool -- no temps below 65 --- see what he does tomorrow w/ the UVB fixed and go from there
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":x1mkk7br said:
Ok how long have you had him? And you are not using any colored bulbs correct? They like darkness and cool -- no temps below 65 --- see what he does tomorrow w/ the UVB fixed and go from there
Karrie

I've had him since last thursday so about 4 days now. And no I'm not using colored bulbs. His basking bulb is a halogen. And at night I turn off all lights in the room and use a 75watt CHE to keep him warm. But yeah definitely I'm really hoping he'll start eating, once again thank you for all your help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You dont want your tank 80 at nite -- 70's is good and not below 65- please keep me posted on him
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":33cx1xae said:
You dont want your tank 80 at nite -- 70's is good and not below 65- please keep me posted on him
Karrie
Ah ok, my room is generally cold at night so his enclosure during the night is usually high 70's with the CHE. But absolutely I'll get back to you with any updates and progress. I'll probably be posting on these forums more often. This seems like a lovely community!

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1a397mky said:
Karrie

Great news! He ate 7 Dubias this morning! I'm still of course trying to get him to eat his greens but he's ignoring them. Regardless I am really happy that he's ate something at least. He's very picky about the conditions of his eating haha. His food has to be really active for him to even bother paying attention to it. One of the Dubias was alive but I accidentally clicked one of its legs while transporting it and so it wouldn't move much. My baby bearded just flat out ignored it lol. Another thing is his lights have to be on. His lights were on for probably about 3ish hours before I tried feeding him. To make it easier I had to move the lights away so that I could put his food in his bowl and without the lights I'm no sure why but he wouldn't eat. But I guess that's not too big of a problem. However, I do have a new problem. The bowl that he's currently using, the roaches can somewhat escape out of. The really active ones usually end up climbing out. Right now my baby bearded is a little hesitant at times to go for the roach and I noticed two times roach escaped and they were so quick and with everything in the way I wasn't able to catch it. I'd prefer not to have roaches in his enclosure mostly when he is trying to sleep at night. I don't know what I can do as a solution. I tried feeding him in a tub so that all roaches have to stay there but he wouldn't eat in the tub/container. So really I don't know what to do, do you have any suggestions?

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":npzyt0v8 said:
Karrie

Great news! He ate 7 Dubias this morning! I'm still of course trying to get him to eat his greens but he's ignoring them. Regardless I am really happy that he's ate something at least. He's very picky about the conditions of his eating haha. His food has to be really active for him to even bother paying attention to it. One of the Dubias was alive but I accidentally clicked one of its legs while transporting it and so it wouldn't move much. My baby bearded just flat out ignored it lol. Another thing is his lights have to be on. His lights were on for probably about 3ish hours before I tried feeding him. To make it easier I had to move the lights away so that I could put his food in his bowl and without the lights I'm no sure why but he wouldn't eat. But I guess that's not too big of a problem. However, I do have a new problem. The bowl that he's currently using, the roaches can somewhat escape out of. The really active ones usually end up climbing out. Right now my baby bearded is a little hesitant at times to go for the roach and I noticed two times roach escaped and they were so quick and with everything in the way I wasn't able to catch it. I'd prefer not to have roaches in his enclosure mostly when he is trying to sleep at night. I don't know what I can do as a solution. I tried feeding him in a tub so that all roaches have to stay there but he wouldn't eat in the tub/container. So really I don't know what to do, do you have any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok you need to get a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-Reptile-Ceramics/dp/B01IRIL1P4?pf_rd_r=084G8Y45PRRB0HP4RRYJ&pf_rd_p=76f54966-688a-4b94-8474-c7a8ff47e986&pd_rd_r=0cf9002f-f6bd-4548-9299-707486365d0b&pd_rd_w=bH2CZ&pd_rd_wg=DA96k&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d but it needs to be xtra large---- make sure you check the size before ordering -- I have one like it and paid $16 I think - get your bowl and mean while get some of these ordered
BSFL they are small order large also known as calci worms phoenix worms nutri grubs
www.dubiaroaches.com order some small super worms and the nutri grubs do not dust them they are a great staple feeder and use as lures to the salad bowl - use as many as you want they will be a compliment to the roaches -- use 1-3 small supers - feed first thing in the morning - when butter worms come in you can get those two - horn worms are good but they must be small they grow really fast so when ordering order small amounts they are currently not shipping roaches
www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms and super worms as well - they are a great staple feeder - if you order when they are back in stock I order in bulk like 50 make sure you order food - you will need to feed daily and clean containers out as well
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
www.coastalsilkworms.com
joshsfrogs.com
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He does need to warm up before eating like an hr or so
Roaches will not bother him at nite they do not bite but it is good to get them out - crickets do not leave in the tank they do bite and can cause infection
Karrie

iiAshura

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qnhx9heo said:
ok you need to get a bowl like this https://www.amazon.com/OMEM-Worm-Dish-Reptile-Ceramics/dp/B01IRIL1P4?pf_rd_r=084G8Y45PRRB0HP4RRYJ&pf_rd_p=76f54966-688a-4b94-8474-c7a8ff47e986&pd_rd_r=0cf9002f-f6bd-4548-9299-707486365d0b&pd_rd_w=bH2CZ&pd_rd_wg=DA96k&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d but it needs to be xtra large---- make sure you check the size before ordering -- I have one like it and paid $16 I think - get your bowl and mean while get some of these ordered
BSFL they are small order large also known as calci worms phoenix worms nutri grubs
http://www.dubiaroaches.com order some small super worms and the nutri grubs do not dust them they are a great staple feeder and use as lures to the salad bowl - use as many as you want they will be a compliment to the roaches -- use 1-3 small supers - feed first thing in the morning - when butter worms come in you can get those two - horn worms are good but they must be small they grow really fast so when ordering order small amounts they are currently not shipping roaches
http://www.reptilianarts.com great silk worms and super worms as well - they are a great staple feeder - if you order when they are back in stock I order in bulk like 50 make sure you order food - you will need to feed daily and clean containers out as well
http://www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com
joshsfrogs.com
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He does need to warm up before eating like an hr or so
Roaches will not bother him at nite they do not bite but it is good to get them out - crickets do not leave in the tank they do bite and can cause infection
Karrie

Ok thanks so I've ordered almost everything you mentioned, the bowl should make everything easier! However, I'm a little concerned for my baby bearded. I'm not sure if he has an issue with his eye-sight. Sometimes he has issues seeing or finding the roaches it seems. Once he finds one he'll pay attention and get ready but hesitate for a long time. Once he finally strikes he usually misses a couple times before landing. Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom