New beardie help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holmes123

Hi all, I brought home my new baby bear die yesterday which I am very excited for . I have a slight concern though as he is so much smaller than I expected he seems very fragile also all he does is sit under basking light all day and seems very sleepy the whole time. He does move around for a couple of mins but goes back to his basking spot fairly quickly and goes to a sleepy state. He did eat two small Dubai’s and a small locust but then has showed no intrest at all since and has refused any cabbage leaves. I understand he is stressed from moving most likely but the shop I bought him from told me to only feed him 3-4 of the small locust per day, but online it says to eat theee times more than that . The shop also gave me a red basking light which I have changed as I know they don’t like them . I just feel like I may have been given bad advice. I do feel he is very fragile but I have never owned one so don’t know if he’s not eaten enough or if that’s normal he also has a 30” t5 uvb bulb in from Arcadia and I’m giving him around 14 hours lights on time and 8 off

Thanks for any help

Thanks for any help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Congratulations on your new dragon, they are so sweet.
Do you have pictures of him, along with your tank setup so we can see your dragon & his
living environment, too.
The T5 Arcadia tube is a great UVB. How close to him is the light & are you using a bright
white basking light for him now after removing the red light?
What type of thermometer are you using for him, a digital probe or a temp gun?

Tracie

Holmes123

Original Poster
I am using a digital thermometer and the probe is sat in the tank pretty much right where he is lies and it’s reading 41celsius . How do I attach a picture I have one to show just can’t get it in .uvb is probably around 10 inches above where he lies along the back wall of the tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If there is no reflector on the UVB I recommend you get one or move the UVB you have directly over him -- distance I am not sure for one w/ a T 5 and no reflector --- he will not get adequate UVB w/ the way its set up now w/ no reflector and 10 inches may be too far --- someone else is gonna haft recommend distance on the T 5- if you were to get a reflector distance in the tank should be around 12-15 inches from basking decor --- you would also have the option of setting it on top of the tank w/ a reflector and distance should be 8-10 inches from basking decor-- its good you got rid of the red bulb they are harmful to the eyes-- your basking temp is good -- his eating will be off as hes gonna go thru relocation stress-- as long as hes eating something that is good--- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple feeder-- you need him eating salads now are you offering them? I also recommend you get him some dubia roaches and BSFL also known as calci worms phoenix worms or nutri grubs -- they are great to feed as salad toppers and can be used to lure him to the bowl - the BSFL are another good staple feeder for babies and feed as many as you want and do not dust them - you will need to use a glass bowl or ceramic bowl they cant get out of -- add them to the bowl in front of him so the movement attracts his attention --- your locust / dubia roaches should be dusted 2 x per week w/ calcium D3 and calcium w/ out D3 3 x per week ---vitamins 2 x per week -- your Arcadia bulb has the D3 as well correct? Once you get the UVB set up correctly you dont want to over vitamin D3 him so those are the recommendations for the supplements if the UVB is corrected-- your D3 supplement and UVB is going to prevent MBD and other health issues --
Karrie
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
108365-1365728570.jpg
I have not got a reflector for the uvb light strip I have moved it further down the back wall as shown in the picture so that it is much closer to him will that benefit him. I have the supplements needed and tried to offer him his food dusted and undusted he doesn’t seem Intrested what so ever in either.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not sure on the distance of that UVB w/ no reflector --- the not eating is not good -- he needs to be eating something even a little --- please dust the bugs -- at least one feeding - if your feeding more than one time a day the once is good -- I am going to enlist in some more help w/ the UVB --please no more cabbage leaves--
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
He did eat yesterday about 2 Dubia roaches and a small locust which was his first day home. But today he hasnt gone for anything, he is abit more alert now compared to earlier on

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok well keep offering him food and get him started on salads and use the BSFL as lures to the bowl --- look at the nutrition website I posted for you -- I have sent out some PM's to get help w / your UVB -- keep an eye on his behavior --- we want him eating something
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
Ok could I just ask what bsfl stands for. I will make him a fresh salad and try using his live food to entice him to it. Is it worth physically move if him to his bowl or should I let him go on his own? The problem I have is the locust and the roaches run away and hide in the viv before he has even noticed them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
BSFL is black solider fly larvea--- they are tiny so if you get some order large -- here is a website you probably cant order from here - your not in the states correct? But you can look where you live or can order from -- www.symtonbsf.com -- take him out of his tank and put him in a tote try feeding him that way --- if he still doesnt eat we arent going to wait to long as we dont want him to lose weight -- you need a glass bowl those roaches cant get out of -- add the live bugs in front on him --- you want his attention -- try hand feeding him salad leaves mustard collard etc --- and look for some small super worms -- I think they are called morio worms over where your at not sure -- I dont know what they are carrying in your pet stores for worms where your at -- wash or rinse the salad leaves before serving you need to keep him hydrated --- they wont eat if they are not hydrated --- so your bugs you want them gut loaded meaning fed good and hydrated - you can feed carrots to your dubias and that will hydrate them good -- can you get silk worms where you are ? Look for those too - they are another good staple worm and can be added to your salad as well -- I would google silk worms and BSFL also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms and calci worms --- let me know what you find --
Karrie

Holmes123

Original Poster
Ok I have found morio worms and calci worms in a local store I am going to try what you have said I’ll let you know how I get on thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom