Bearded Dragon Went Outside For First Time- Was He Stressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi guys!

My beardie Drogon has been clawing at our sliding glass door and loves when the window is opened, so I wanted to give him a natural sunlight, outdoor experience. Since we have a lot of hawks and other predatory birds, I purchased a rabbit hutch with wheels so I can make an outdoor enclosure. As per the photos, it has a little ramp hiding area, food and water dish. Today was in the low 90s, so I also provided a towel covering one area for shade.

When I wheeled Drogon outside, he was frozen on the ramp, so I moved him onto the shelve (next to food bowl). I'm unsure if he enjoyed it. He sat there and his whole body darkened as if he was taking in the sun like he does inside. I wheeled him back in about 15 minutes later just in case he got too much stimulation, especially since we have an outdoor air conditioning unit that was running.

When he got back inside, I left him in the enclosure to change, came back down and he was just hanging out. I also misted him and gave him some water. He explored the cage then clawed to get out. At one point, I could've sworn he was shaking a bit, but that might've been me moving the cage while petting him.

As I type this, he's actually looking out the window again :) and glass surfing. Maybe he's saying let me out again!!

Based on behavior, how do you think this went? Did he enjoy it?

Some pics:
106408-4950233670.jpg

106408-1647595745.jpg

106408-2029823633.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he is OK but it is a big change. Try just a little bit of time outside and stay near him when he's out. It may take some time for him to adjust to the new surroundings and to know he is pretty safe when he is there.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like he took it alright. :) If a beardie gets stressed they often lay down + won't move for a while or [ not as often ] get really freaked out and start dashing around, often with a black beard. Some beardies even hiss or gape at their owners. BTW, I'm sure that your beardie could squeeze through those gaps.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
CooperDragon":335wrhnk said:
It sounds like he is OK but it is a big change. Try just a little bit of time outside and stay near him when he's out. It may take some time for him to adjust to the new surroundings and to know he is pretty safe when he is there.
Awesome! Yeah I’ll take it slow with him!

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
AHBD":35vsqv0u said:
It sounds like he took it alright. :) If a beardie gets stressed they often lay down + won't move for a while or [ not as often ] get really freaked out and start dashing around, often with a black beard. Some beardies even hiss or gape at their owners. BTW, I'm sure that your beardie could squeeze through those gaps.

He was turning a bit dark but it just looked like normal sunning behavior and hes always got a gray beard ever since he hit puberty xD

Ill keep an eye on that, but the gaps are really narrow compared to the pic and he’s got a big head xD

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom