Dragons eye won't open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there all, my dragon has a problem and I don't know what it is or how it happened. One of her eyes is shut and won't open. I noticed it yesterday and thought she just had it closed on purpose. She does that if I'm trying to get her to eat and she's full or something like that. I think it's her way of telling me to go away. lol

But I saw it again today, and it was still like that, and it doesn't look right at all. I'm trying to figure out how to get an image up for you guys to look at. She won't let me touch the area and it's not normal and she won't open it at all. She's moving around just fine and is eating just as much as always, which is near endlessly..

Also, just thought to add, my lights are a 100 watt basking bulb, and a a Reptisun 10.0 T5. Temps are at 106ish on the warm side and 85ish on the cool side. Reptile carpet for the substrate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Has she gotten bit by a cricket? That could of caused the eye irritation-- also the T 5 where is it in the tank? On top of screen ? inside? You need it at the correct distance you dont want it too close to her --- you can take some raw unpasteurized honey mixed w/ a little warm water and use a Q tip and apply on the eye -- I would wash/ rinse the eye out w/ some saline first and then apply the honey mixture - if there is a infection going it will kill it -- apply a couple times a day and make sure there are NO crickets in the tank --- if you are feeding crickets either feed one at a time or feed in different container so none are left in the tank - they will go straight for that eye
Karrie

MountainWulf

Original Poster
I never leave any live food in with her because I've seen what they can do. So thankfully it isn't that.

The T5 is on top of her enclosure, on the screen.

Is saline solution for sensitive eyes by target an ok brand to use? My room mate has some he uses for his contacts. Are there any ingredients I need to be looking out for? I ask because I don't want to find out the hard way there are ingredients in this stuff that are bad for her.

Honey in her eye won't hurt?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No the honey won't hurt her eye- regular saline solution the kind they rinse contact s w/ no cleaners just a regular saline
Karrie

MountainWulf

Original Poster
Thank you for all the answers. I think my saline won't work then.. Can I make my own with just salt and water?

How much do I dilute the honey?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can make your own if you like do not use contact cleaning solution --- I would go get some from Walmart I am sure its not that expensive-- then you have it on hand - the stuff you make it looks like you haft to pitch it after a certain amount of time --- the honey can be diluted w/ just a little water to give it a runny consistency ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it possible its shed that has not come off ---- if it is take a small baby toothbrush w/ some warm water and gently bush the eye ----- try that as well as the saline --- do that first before you use the honey --- it could be just some stuck shed if he has shedded recently
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Sorry, I don't know how to help but just had to say what gorgeous lashes she has! (That might seem weird, I am new to dragons). ;)

MountainWulf

Original Poster
I've been putting bottled water on a qtip and rubbing her eye gently, then putting the watered down honey on her eye. She still keeps it closed and it isn't looking any better yet. I'm not going to stop worrying until she's 100% better.

Before I put honey on her eye for the first time, she opened it just long enough to get a picture. It's not a good picture, but she closed her eye again and I can't get a better picture. But you can see in it if you zoom, there is some pink swelling at the upper left corner. She did just finish her second shed since I bought her the day her eye closed, but I looked her eye over and I don't see any shed stuck on there.

84067-6912066201.jpg

WinFam01":2rnxcxxm said:
Sorry, I don't know how to help but just had to say what gorgeous lashes she has! (That might seem weird, I am new to dragons). ;)

Thank you, I'm sure she loves the complements (She thinks she's a princess). When I first got her, she was the plainest looking dragon. But a couple days after I got her she shed and turned yellow and her patterns really popped. First thing I noticed after the dramatic color change were those eye lashes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am going to have some one else on here look at her eye --- they are more experienced and can give you some more advice as to what to do
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you see the pupil ? I can't see it from the pic. BTW, you don't by chance have her on loose substrate ? You can continue using the honey [ raw, unpasteurized ] mixture but don't rub the eye at all, that will irritate it more. Just apply the honey by getting a good glob of it to gently apply with the Q-tip or with a syringe. It should help in a few of days [ hopefully ]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its possible she scratched her eye w / her nail trying to get some shed off as well - keep up w/ the honey for a few days and see how it goes --- we ask about substrate because often times people are using sand or loose substrate that can get in the eye and cause irritation-- so I am guessing its shed still and she has scratched herself w/ her nail --- keep us posted

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom