Baby Bearded Dragon Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Hello I have just got my Baby bearded Dragon in the mail yesterday and while it did eat some last night but today it won't eat any crickets I feed it and I also can't get half my tank's Humity to go to desert level and stays stuck at 50 on the cool side. Is this just relocation stress and what can I do for both his Appetite and humidity. Also there appears to be condesation forming behind his basking rock.
And also I got a 100W Powersun UV so it produces heat and uvb rays but as of now I have it plus an extra 100w basking bulb to increse heat. I was hoping to get it more dyer by doing that least till I can pick up a 160w bulb tomorrow. but other then that I don't know what else to do.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
The veteran posters will probably want you to post pictures of the setup you have, so you might want to take pictures and get those posted, and you'll get more replies from those who have been "around the beardie block" and then some!

They will also likely advise you to get rid of the Powersun, and go with a UV strip bulb and fixture. That's what most of us have. If you click on "Care Sheets and Articles" there's a very good one for new dragon owners called "What to Buy." It will tell you what kind of bulb and fixture to get. :)

As far as the humidity goes... do you have a water dish in the enclosure? If so, remove it. That will help to regulate the humidity. Bathe or mist your dragon outside of the enclosure to hydrate him or her.

And yes, a baby not eating that soon after shipping is almost definitely relocation stress. Take a breath, give the little one a day or two to settle in, offering modest amounts of food at first to see if s/he is ready to start eating. You might want to shift over to dubia roaches rather than crickets... many of us START on crickets, don't get me wrong, but dubias are much better feeders and last longer in captivity than crickets do (without the smell or the noise). You also don't have to worry about loose feeders starting to chew on your dragon, like crickets will if they get loose in the habitat. You can order through www.dubiaroaches.com - they're a great company, and I've never had an issue with their delivery.

Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for the reply and I already removed the water dish but half the tank stuck at 50 but it might because it’s one of the crappy duel thermometer and Hydrometer. I do have a thermometer with a probe on the basking rock and I have a zoomed thermometer gun on the way as well. And as for Dubia Roaches I have to talk with my dad cause I live with him. And he doesn’t like roaches multiplying cause we used to have a roach problem. And also is it normal for a bearded dragon to close its eyes during basking. And here is the pictures of my setup and my new baby. :p
87331-3160086204.jpg
87331-8157317247.jpg
87331-567609002.jpg
87331-3012392004.jpg
87331-9426812166.jpg
87331-7180477194.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What size tank ? Dubia roaches do not infest like cockroaches--- they are nothing alike-- easy to keep in a 10 gallon aquarium or plastic tote --- the humidity is fine at 50% and the hygrometer you have is fine -- its when its getting up to 70 or higher -- the eye closing when they bask is normal -- he will go thru relocation stress so hes eating may be slow for a few days or so --- but he should not quit eating all together -- where do you have that digital probe at ? It seems like it would be too hot -- please place the probe where he is sitting for basking and leave for 10 minutes you dont want to burn him up --- if he is sitting on the top of that cave / platform it may be too hot -- you want temps 105-110 no hotter
Karrie

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's the 40 gallon starter tank Zoo Med sells. And I use a Powersun UV. So I don't have the coil one. And while we are on the subject I'm having trouble keeping basking Temp in the 100's and I'm having to use 2 100w bulbs. Would a 160w work better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get a temp of where hes sitting if hes not sitting at the very top of that cave/ platform it may be too hot
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that is a good temp--- I am not savvy on the All in One bulbs --- you may get a recommendation for a second UVB -- sometimes they dont put out enough UVB and it depends on the brand of the bulb I am going to let someone else advise on that --- are you feeding salads ? He needs salads every day here is a website for that http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- you may haft to get some worms to lure him to the salad bowl --- small super worms no meal worms --- silk worms will work --- you will need to get a glass bowl or ceramic bowl so the worms dont get out -- crickets are harder to use you can use them as lures but you want him eating salads now -- you will haft to disable the cricket by pulling a leg off so they cant jump out --dubia roaches work the best small super worms are hard to find --- you can get them from here http://www.reptilesplus.com I recommend ordering nutri grubs they are another staple feeder and you can use as many as you want for a lure order large -- do not dust them w /calcium D3 as they are calcium enriched they are also known as calci worms phoenix worms and BSFL --- here is some websites for worms
http://www.reptilianarts.com ordering in bulk you will need to get food so you can feed them and make sure containers are cleaned out every day
http://www.coastilsilkworms.com east coast was out you may need to order from west coast
http://www.mulberryfarms.com
http://www.dubiaroaches.com good place for roaches horn worms and butter worms - butter worms are out of stock now
You need to feed as many crickets as he will eat in 10 minutes --- dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- the dubias are more filling and you will not feed as many - crickets he should go thru 20 -30 2 - 3 times per day -- dubias he will eat approx 8-10 depending on he size -- you dont want them bigger than the size between his eyes or there abouts
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, congrats on your new baby ! Just a few things I'd like to mention.....get a syringe or eyedropper [ or spray bottle ] to slowly drip water on his snout for a drink to hydrate him. The Powersun iis fine as a heat + uvb but in a big tank you'll need a good long uvb tube as well. Don't get rid of the Powersun, I've used them for years. You DO want to fill out the warranty in the box to send in to Zoo med, once in a great while they can burn out prematurely and Zoo Med will ship you a new one if you just send in the warranty.

As for the temp., how long are you leaving the probe on the basking spot ? If it's not left on long enough you may not get an accurate temp. I very highly doubt you need more heat, possibly less heat or just what you have.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I switch the fixture to a normal cheap metal fixture and I'm using just 1 bulb again cause I think it was somthing to do with the duel fixture cause having one bulb I'm guessing the duel fixture was throwing heat everywhere instead of his basking spot. Never mind I put it back in the duel one cause I got the duel one to throw more heat.

Aireon719

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":ba3ypmg7 said:
Hi there, congrats on your new baby ! Just a few things I'd like to mention.....get a syringe or eyedropper [ or spray bottle ] to slowly drip water on his snout for a drink to hydrate him. The Powersun iis fine as a heat + uvb but in a big tank you'll need a good long uvb tube as well. Don't get rid of the Powersun, I've used them for years. You DO want to fill out the warranty in the box to send in to Zoo med, once in a great while they can burn out prematurely and Zoo Med will ship you a new one if you just send in the warranty.

As for the temp., how long are you leaving the probe on the basking spot ? If it's not left on long enough you may not get an accurate temp. I very highly doubt you need more heat, possibly less heat or just what you have.
What uvb light and fixture do you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you want the UVB fixture on top of the tank get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.t_5kd2hzxt.webp do not use the bulb it comes w/ it is not for reptiles
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/12/ZM_T5_Hood_ep9z-yd.jpg this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it is not strong enough to be placed on top of the tank you need this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/4/xzoo-med-uvb-10-T5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.K8f7Jd477l.webp or this one
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/14/arcadia-T5-Reptile_UVB_12_.jpg both of these bulb are good ones --- your basking decor would need to go directly underneath approx 8-10 inches from UVB

I would get a 24" fixture -- bulb size is the 22"
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom