Baby Not Eating? Growth spurts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

graec123

Hey everyone!

So Julianos, my beardie, came back from the vet almost a week ago. When he got back, he was spooked so I had left him alone for the day. I had originally brought him in since I had some concerns about a respiratory complication, but eventually, they checked him up and just told me to change up his terrarium :/ I sectioned off a good half of his 40 gallon tank since they said that he may be overwhelmed by all the space.

The following day, I fed him and he was ravenous! I was surprised by how much he ate and he seemed pleased and I was very happy!

But for about the next 3 days, I realized that he suddenly wasn’t interested in the food anymore. I’ve tried to coerce him many times with small Dubia roaches and nutrigrubs. I have even installed a t5 uvb light fixture, replacing his old kit.

Over these few days, I’ve hardly been able to coerce him into eating. This morning he pooped, but it was very small in accordance to his decreasing appetite. He sits between the new uvb light and his basking spot with his eyes closed, and sometimes I’ve seen him “sleeping” in this area even when the lights are all on (laying over the resting spot, head lowered, eyes closed). Today, I’ve improvised and set the lighting fixture up a little higher with some containers, though I know I have to make it better since I worried it was irritating his eyes. Though I even added a piece of wood that was closer to it when I had just left it on top of the terrarium mesh.

These past few days, I have added the new piece of wood and the cardboard wall, plus the new light. He may also be uncomfortable with these changes I added.

I have read about young beardies going through these “growth spurts” that apparently make them act strangely. Should I contribute his lack of appetite to this? Please help, I’m so worried!!!

His terrarium is a 40 gallon, 12 inches high. Like I said, I’ve sectioned off a little over a quarter of his terrarium. His basking temperature is 105 degrees Fahrenheit and the distance from the t5 light fixture to his resting spot was originally about 8 inches away from the top of his habba hut (his usual resting spot) and now, with the containers I used to prop the fixture up, it’s about 12 inches away. A wire mesh also covers up the top of his terrarium.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good you moved the T 5 up 8" is too close -- distance for the T 5 in the tank should be 12-15 inches or if there is NO screen blocking the rays --- and I dont know why they had you section that tank off 40 gallon is fine for your baby --- I would open it back up - he is going thru relocation stress again and it may take a day or two or longer for him to get back to eating like he was --- but he should NOT quit eating all together -- growth spurts are when they are constantly shedding -- I assume your getting your basking temps w/ a digital probe and NOT a stick on ? They are inaccurate --
Karrie

graec123

Original Poster
An update on the situation:

I got Julianos to eat about 4 small dubias a few hours before I turned the lights off last night! I was so happy I was able to get him to eat SOMETHING.

But today, once again I'm terribly worried. I adjusted his light fixture so it would be further away from him. Certainly better than the containers I was using before. Though now I'm wondering if they're too far away...

And now, he has eaten literally nothing at all today! :( I gave him a bath this morning and spent 20 minutes trying to get him to eat something, but nothing... He sits around with his eyes closed/almost closing, looking lethargic, which I want to believe contributes to his lack of appetite. He just doesn't look great...

I'm wondering if I should take action and syringe feed him or just leave him alone so he can get used to the changes. I'm so worried... I hate seeing him like this :(

This is what his enclosure looks like:

107753-2280512103.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is way to far now --- distance for the T 5 in the tank should be 12-15 inches or if there is NO screen blocking the rays --- if you want to set that T 5 on top of screen adjust your basking decor to be directly under 8-10 inches ---- ok so you need to move the UVB to top of screen and move the basking light so he can sit on something I am guess and seeing only the log that you can use????? He needs more decor pieces in the tank -- I would go to Petsmart and get some pieces like these
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290969
Until you get your UVB situated and your basking area w temps being correct he will NOT eat --- as it sits right now that UVB is doing NO GOOD-- it is too far away
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
I may have missed it but what strength is the t5 bulb? If it's a 10.0 where you had it originally was fine. I would lower it back down and just try to relax. I think the rearranging things so often may be stressing him out plus if you are stressed that may also be stressing him out. If you want to could try to feed some baby food by dripping it on his nose. Otherwise I would just do as you were doing and offer him his bugs and leave a salad in there for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom