Possible parasites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Hi! My beardie is 8 months old. We got him when he was 2 months old, and haven't had many problems with him! He has always appeared very healthy and was very calm and gentle when handled. Recently, he had diarrhea. His poop went back to normal the next day, so I just decided to keep an eye on him. He definitely maintained his appetite and energy. Within the past week, he started to close his eyes when basking. He did this before, but only for short periods of time. Now, he will do it more often and extended periods of time. Yesterday and today, he started to stay in his hide for awhile. Temps have stayed the same. Other than the lack of energy, he seems very healthy.

Husbandry/Habitat:
40 G viv (long) with tile at the bottom (cleaned often)
Zoo Med 10.0 t5 UVB tube about 6 inches from rock
Temps stay at about 100 F
Fed live insects twice a day with all day access to variety of veggies
Multivitamin dusting twice a week
No calcium dusting (fed BSFL)
No change in husbandry or environment (no other signs of stress)

I am aware that every beardie is different and some go through changes when maturing. I just want to make sure that I am not ignoring anything that could be unhealthy. Better safe than sorry! I can't take him to a vet because of everything that is going on. I would order a DIY test kit, but we have problems getting mail, too. Hope everyone is staying safe!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The T 5 is too close if its inside the tank and should be 12-15 inches from basking decor -- if its on top of screen it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking decor -- that would be the reason why hes constantly closing the eyes -- or one of them but I am thinking that is the cause --- fix it and then see how his behavior is
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I’ll fix it. It was about 7.8 inches away, but I’ll move things around a bit. The box said keep it 6 inches away, though I should probably know better than to listen to those! Thanks! I will see if this helps!

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His poop went back to normal for a few days, but he’s had diarrhea two days in a row. Still has his appetite and he is still very energetic. I can’t get him into a vet right now because of this pandemic (every exotic vet is about 2-3 hours away, and they are all in a hotspot, so they are only taking emergencies). I was going to order a diy test kit for parasites, but mail shipments have been taking longer and longer to come in (I waited a month for insects, even longer for other supplies). I’ll post a picture of his poop. Should I start to increase basking time before he eats in the morning? I couldn’t think of why this could be stress, as I have not done anything differently the last few weeks. Let me know! I want to make sure everything is ok!
106687-2962889122.jpg
There are worm bits in this image, though he only has problems digesting them when he eats so many at once. I had to start feeding them to him one at a time, but this time I accidentally dropped a few in at once and he ate them all up before I could take them out... today he had no problem digesting his food.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you feeding just BSFL and where are you getting them from? They will not digest if you feed to fast as you have found out-- I would start feeding another insect like dubia roaches -- you can order them from this website both the BSFL also known as nutri grubs from here www.dubiaroaches.com --- see if you cant get them quicker - they are out of Kansas and I get my orders in 3 days usually
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zu759x1 said:
Are you feeding just BSFL and where are you getting them from? They will not digest if you feed to fast as you have found out-- I would start feeding another insect like dubia roaches -- you can order them from this website both the BSFL also known as nutri grubs from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com --- see if you cant get them quicker - they are out of Kansas and I get my orders in 3 days usually
Karrie
Unfortunately, in my current living situation, I am unable to keep dubias. I was planning on breeding them, but I had to find another option. I was told BSFL alone was much better than crickets, as they are less likely to pass on parasites and are more nutritious (doesn’t have to be gutloaded/high calcium content), as well as they would grow better and healthier eating these insects. Crickets caused too many problems, as they are extremely hard to get where I am (takes weeks to ship for some reason and the order is always wrong, I once got only 50 crickets when I ordered 200, and they were all the wrong size). Are BSFL not a reliable food source? I was told they were one of the best and can be fed alone. I still offer a variety of insects (supers once a week, mealworms (freshly molted) every so often, crickets when I can, hornworms every so often, anything else I can get my hands on lol). I want to do what’s best for my beardie and I would be happy to look into another source of food for him if this isn’t working!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dubia roaches sells horn worms butter worms super worms etc...........BSFL are a good staple feeder but for older dragons not recommended as they eat alot not saying babies dont either but just saying
I would order some silk worms they are another good staple feeder --- you can order them from here www.reptilianarts.com I just got a order in of 50 and they were a couple of different sizes - they are nice a soft -- you can order by cup w/ food or by bulk the 50 was bulk came w/ no food as I had food already and some extra containers w/ the netting - so if you order them make sure you get food - you will need to clean the frass poop and the old food out if they dont eat it all daily-- here is another website www.mulberryfarms.com they were out last I looked and then www.coastalsilkworms.com
not sure about their stock - I know reptilianarts has them in stock check there
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom