New Beardie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI

I just got a juvenile Bearded Dragon last Thursday. I have a 40 gallon tank. On left side have heating pad with at 150watt basking bulb. Put a 10watt uvb in middle and on right have a 75watt basking bulb. Beardie hasn't been eating much. Put out veggies for him and he doesn't touch them. He has eaten some dubias since I got him but not much. He mostly stays on log I have that goes up to 150 watt bulb. Have temp gauge on that log and keep it at 105. Just worried cuz he's not eating much. Out of roaches right now and due to COVD-19 no local stores have them. Ordered some online won't be coming till Wednesday. I do have Beardie Buffet that I made but haven't seen him on bottom of tank unless it is night time then he lays under another half log to sleep on heating pad. Just worried about him. Any help?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
the 10 watt UVB is a coil? If it is get rid of it --- you only need two good lights in that tank - one a good basking bulb that keeps temps at 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons--- next a good UVB NO coils -- you want a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8 - the bulbs have certain placement and distances for the tank - you can order from here if you cant find one in your local pet store www.pangeareptiles.com - these people are fast and good -- he is going to go thru relocation stress so his eating will slow down but should not completely quit ---
I can help w/ more food websites --
Karrie

stephmitts

Original Poster
Yes It's in a dome light.. THe UVB. THe side where the basking spot is is 105 have a probe temp on the log. The other side all the way over says it's only 69 degrees and that's with a 75watt basking. I don't know if my temp gauge is in the right spot. I don't know how to add pics to this post

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Go to top of page in banner click on user image uploader then click on ximg at top of message box click on pic it should post-- you need to get cool side up to 80's during the day and 69 is good for nite--- get a pic of the tank so we can better help you
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to take the decor move it so it's under the bright white basking light--- watch your temps - what is the bulb hanging over the tank? There is no light-- the UVB is basically doing no good- if it's warm where you are 65 or better take him outside in a plastic container No GLASS--direct sunlight for 15 minutes---- that will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB-- do you mean a 24 " fixture? Let me know when you get it so I can help you get it placed
Karrie

stephmitts

Original Poster
OH that light that's off I have it hooked to a temp gauge with a auto shut off..that's the 150watt.. should i have the probe on the wood? right now i have the probe on the wood and have it set to 105.. so if gets to 105 it shuts off.. ya a 24inch hood from chewy.com.. the one on the right is a 75watt.. i have a temp probe hanging off glass that side says only 69degrees.. idk if i have that probe in right spot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so you want the basking light on all the time-- 12 hrs on 12 hrs off-- so take timer off that light - if it's getting to hot over 110 - lower the wattage on the bulb - to 100--the digital probes should be correct-- if you haft to use a regular household bulb 60 watt no LED - on the cool side of tank--- the T 8 will need to go inside the tank no cover on fixture if there is one-- you want bulb exposed hang it approx 8-10 inches from basking decor-- you can use long plastic zip ties- 3m Velcro hangers- fishing line- picture wire hangers- shoe laces-- etc
Karrie

stephmitts

Original Poster
I can move the basking log lower so it doesn't get as hot so it doesn't turn the light off

I got the attached for the UV
107683-2937000538.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the fixture is good the bulb if it's coming w/ one not so good-- you can use it till it needs to be replaced in 6 months-- make sure there is no cover over the bulb if there is take it off-- next when replacing the bulb I want you to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb they are a better bulb --
Karrie

stephmitts

Original Poster
Ok so if there's like plastic over the bottom take that off? It looks to just be the hood then the bulb.. nothing over the bulb.. what about food? I ordered roaches won't be coming in for few days. He just stays on the log all day. I put some veggies and some of the Beardie buffet I made yesterday but he just stays on log all day then only comes down at night. Then he goes under the 1.2 log to sleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
When the fixture comes if there is a plastic cover covering the bulb take it off leave it open so you can see the bulb--- can you get some crickets for now? Where did you get the roaches from? Is he not eating at all? It has everything to do w/ your lighting and basking temps--- his main diet is 80% protein and 20% veggies-- I haft to run out when I get home I am going to post websites for insects and worms and give you some tips on how to get him to eat his salads-- but we need to get your lights in order along w/ the basking temps correct- he needs to be sitting under his basking light for 4 hrs per day--
Karrie
Karrie

stephmitts

Original Poster
I ordered the roaches from Petco.com. Called them this am they dont have any in store. Was in Petsmart yesterday they didnt have anything.. the place I got him from a Reptile Breeding store said this stuff can use in place of the protein in case cant get any with stores closing for COVD-19..HIs basking temp is fine. I think it's prob the uv.. trying to put the dome as close as possible to where he is but with basking dome it's difficult

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
stephmitts":gbhgldd9 said:
I ordered the roaches from Petco.com. Called them this am they dont have any in store. Was in Petsmart yesterday they didnt have anything.. the place I got him from a Reptile Breeding store said this stuff can use in place of the protein in case cant get any with stores closing for COVD-19..HIs basking temp is fine. I think it's prob the uv.. trying to put the dome as close as possible to where he is but with basking dome it's difficult
With the tank as big as it is that UVB isnt going to do any good --- look on the coil bulb and tell me what the wattage is for it 13 or 26 watt? If by some chance its the 26 you will be ok for now ---
I did not know you could order dubias thru Petco so I am going to give you some websites for worms and insects Is your dragon eating salads?
first here is a nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple
www.dubiaroaches.com these people are good and fast - they have good worms order if you can butter worms super worms horn worms -- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm and they grow real fast so order a small amount -- super worms are good for treats and salad lures dont let him fill up on them like 4 or so is good they will become addicted to them -- butter worms are also good I feed as a lure to the salad like 3 -- you can check out these websites for the same worms
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/
https://symtonbsf.com/ BSFL also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms or calci worms - good staple feeder but you need a lot as they are small so order large if you order any --
https://reptilianarts.com/ this place has good silk worms another staple feeder - make sure if you order any size amount w/ out food cups that they come in order food - you will need to feed them
https://www.coastalsilkworms.com/ I ordered some real small silks from here and I am still feeding them to my 9 month old but they have grown to be bigger size but were real small when I got them so I have had to feed them also make sure you clean out the frass poop every day or other day and the food if it gets moldy--
You will be able to order all this online these places are still shipping -- check out the websites and if you order from dubiaroaches.com they will have your order to you in like 3-4 days - I usually get mine in 3 days as I am in MN and they are out of Kansas -- you can have them hold your insects / worms at the post office if you want --- call your post office and tell them to hold and you can pick them up boxes are usually marked Live Feeders
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom