Aspiration of meds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownTheHall

Hello,

I have a 7 mo old beardie who recently got antiparasitic meds for coccidia and pinworms. I went too fast two nights ago w/the syringe and I'm worried she may have aspirated some. She's swallowing occasionally (closed mouth, but I can see the motion in her throat, maybe once every 15 min), although it's a less pronounced than the first night. She did not cough or spit up the night when I gave her her meds and I watched her for like 5 min after I gave it to her to make sure she was ok, but when I checked on her like 40 min later she was doing this swallowing thing while she was sleeping. I stayed up with her that night (cuddling in a hand towel) so she could sleep warmly and so I could watch her, and at the time she was swallowing like 3 times in succession every 15 min. I gave her a warm water bottle overnight and refreshed it in the middle of the night, and oriented her with her head lower than her body per advice I found here so she could drain those fluids.

She's eating normally (always always always crazy for dubias, and second favorite is Fluker's juvenile dragon food, and she gets a little bit of fruits or veggies daily- today was some mango, which she ate and gets as a "staple fruit" pretty often, and blackberry, which she left and she only gets very rarely), she's moving around her enclosure normally, she's defecating normally, and I talked about my set up with the vet at her exam this last week (carpet, 40 gal, 2 lights- halogen for basking and UVB right next to it, elevated basking location with cave underneath. Vet advised that she should probably have a higher temp basking area because hers gets to high 80s/mid 90s and I elevated her basking location by an inch last night and it's now 100, but she was cleared as healthy, but for parasites like 4 days ago).

I didn't position her with her head lower her last night and maybe I should have, but she was out like a light and I didn't want to disturb her.

She is still swallowing occasionally and has had one or two body movements that looked like mild hiccups yesterday (she did not open her mouth, it was just like how a hiccup would look in your body without the mouth part). Breathing seems normal otherwise- sometimes I can see her breathe on the side of her body and sometimes not, that's normal for her, and I haven't seen her gasp or wheeze. Humidity in the tank is in "ok" range (between 40-50%). She's just swallowing like when you swallow extra saliva in your mouth. Her mouth doesn't open, but I can see her throat move.

This is what it looks like when she swallows: https://youtu.be/HTEsU4RrHVk

Is it normal for them to swallow occasionally like humans do automatically or is this something I should keep watching closely?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks OK but keep watching her. The swallowing isn't unusual and the concern is mainly developing an infection. Using warmer temps overnight and positioning her facing a bit downward as you've been doing should help. Shoot for overnight ambient temps in the high 70s up to maybe 80 or so.

The basking surface should be around 100-105 with areas around that in the 90s. The ambient temps may vary but the basking surface reading is how you should base lighting adjustments. It's most important to provide a gradient across the tank so she can choose what she wants, but she should have some nice hot temps available if she wants them.

DownTheHall

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! That's comforting, and I'll keep watching her for anything unusual.

I'll up her overnight temp so she stays warmer. Her overnight can get down to 69 based on our house temps, so I'll up our house's ambient temp and give her another heat source in her tank. She has a good gradient across her tank as a whole, and while she was initially skeptical about me raising her basking spot, she seems happy with it now (sitting btwn 100-103).

Thanks again! I'll orient her on a slight slope again tonight.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK sounds good. At 69f overnight, that's normally just about right so a temporary ceramic heat emitter or heat projector may be helpful if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise, maybe just bump the temps in the room up a little bit for her if you can. I wouldn't fuss over it too much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom