Watery eye!!! (Lighting???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriNoelle

My beardie's eye has been really watery and puffy lately. Is there anything I can do for him? Or any ideas on what caused it? It's been going on for about a month now, I thought it was stuck shed or he might've scratched it but I feel like it would be better now if one of those was the case. He used to only get watery eyes when he would eat but this past month it's just been watery pretty much all the time. Someone also suggested to me that their beardie's eyes get watery when they eat Repashy, I feed mine Repashy pretty often with his normal mix of greens, hornworms, waxworms, and superworms. So, I was thinking maybe it could have something to do with that? Since his eyes do get watery when he eats too but I'm not sure. Also, I've had him using the Reptisun 10.0 UVB bar for the and I replaced it last week, thinking it might help but it's been the same. (I would add a photo but I'm not sure how to do that on here.)

EDIT: I was just looking over the caresheet on here to make sure I had everything correct in my setup and I'm not sure if I have the correct basking bulb. I checked his temps with my temp gun and it says its 97F (He's a 2 year old) but the bulb I have is "Zilla" brand and I'm pretty sure it's not a "bright white light" as recommended in the caresheet. Does anyone know where I can find a good one???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is a bar 10.0 is it a T 5 or a T 8? Where in the tank is it on top of screen or inside the tank ? What kind of substrate are you using?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post------------- please post a pic of his eye
Basking bulb should be a bright white bulb meaning NO colored or off white - https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4mx1W295P4U4GiJiug2N-hLWb31i6mKTqry11BQdYFE6QQ6aTNx1ne6Z5436mJgeX67lShSL48Jo&usqp=CAc
Is this it? What wattage are you using? Its best to offer a heat gradient for basking -- if you have a piece of decor that would offer that -- something like this
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971
You can sit this different ways in the tank -- my two dragons love this piece and use it all the time -
Karrie

BriNoelle

Original Poster
Its a T5, I think and its not covered by mesh or anything, I have it on the inside of his 4x2x2 enclosure that I built for him, I made a tiny ledge for it to hang from the top of his tank. That bulb is similar to the one I'm using and it's 75 watt. I don't think its a white light though? is it? If not, do you have a white light that you recommend to use? And he has a bunch of stuff to climb on and get closer to his basking spot if he wants to. I'll work on posting some photos of his eye and his enclosure. Thank you for your help!

BriNoelle

Original Poster
104893-590961208.jpg
104893-8835128559.jpg

Here's his eye right now. It looks a lot better right now since I gave him a good bath soaking and then let him sit outside with me to get some natural light. But its been looking better and worse on and off.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so the basking bulb looks like a bright white bulb--- I would move some decor or get some decor so he can sit under his basking bulb - make sure you are getting temps after doing that - you want a piece of decor to offer gradient heat something like this --you want temps 95-110 does the rock sitting directly under the basking bulb get real hot? what is the temp on that rock or stone?
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 if you can find something like this to put under the basking bulb thats good
Next what is the distance from the UVB to the platform? It looks too high and it should be 12-15 inches from the basking decor ---
As far as the eye and why your getting the swollen off and on - that is strange? The bulbs would not be causing that and you dont have a loose substrate in the tank --- you can try washing the eye out w/ some saline solution and see if that helps - also some others on here can also advise
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom