Smelly dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlyT90

So Fluffy has recently been sick. Not to worry, he's much better after a change in his diet and a bit of extra attention. However, he stinks. I have given him baths but this is a stink that water alone can't wash away. He loves sitting on my shoulders and I love having him snuggle on me but the smell... It's bad, folks. What can I add to his baths that will help that stink go away?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What do you have for a substrate? If its carpet it tends to hold the smell and possibly linger on him --- I would switch it out to textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile - the tile would need to be cut to the tank size w/ a tile cutter so you dont get jagged edges -- also dont grout or seal it - just lay it in there so you can pull it for cleaning - I use a thick shop towel under my tile to catch the watery / urate stuff - that would help w/ the smell on him --
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'm thinking maybe some kind of diluted pet soap/shampoo or betadine, but I'd check with my vet first.

Just a caution NOT to use something like Nature's Miracle products directly on your dragon. The labels/marketing say they're "safe for use around pets", however, UNDER the label are cautions to "remove pet" before use and DO NOT APPLY DIRECTLY ON PET.

I use their cage cleaner for small animals, and it works wonderfully, but I was careful to read the entire label before using. I do use it to spot-clean where Z leaves stinkies while he's in there, but immediately cover with paper towel, and his enclosure is well-ventilated w/ a fan.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I wonder if a bath + a gentle scrub with a toothbrush might do the trick? It usually helps mine when they get to smelling a little... dragon-y :)

AlyT90

Original Poster
I usually use a carpet, but during his recent tummy troubles I switched to paper towels to keep cleaning up quick and easy and less stressful for him. He's not a fan at all of being scrubbed (he will fight the toothbrush/scrubber) and now that he feels better he's super feisty and I do enjoy having all of my flesh attached to my body (not that he would bite me, but he gives me these looks. You know the ones that would melt steel with their venom and say "i wish you would try it, giant food-giver").

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
AlyT90":3nygkrzx said:
I usually use a carpet, but during his recent tummy troubles I switched to paper towels to keep cleaning up quick and easy and less stressful for him. He's not a fan at all of being scrubbed (he will fight the toothbrush/scrubber) and now that he feels better he's super feisty and I do enjoy having all of my flesh attached to my body (not that he would bite me, but he gives me these looks. You know the ones that would melt steel with their venom and say "i wish you would try it, giant food-giver").
:lol: :laughhard: :lol: ZaRDoz sure would! :laughing6:
Switching substrate was a good idea; carpeting can trap odors and whatever is causing them.
Are any of us "fans" of being scrubbed? :dontknow: I mean... a good scratch is one thing (ask any dog) but scrubbing can be a little more severe... Feisty is good! The rest of that sentence cracked me up--well phrased! :wink:

Owning "The Perpetually Pissed-Off Stinky Demon Lizard", I can relate to the looks--they're half his "charm"! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom