Silkie finger scabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARESpapa

My silkback bearded dragon Ares is about to be 1 year old and has not had any health problems before. After her last shed, she started having these scab looking things on her hands. There were a few things knocked over in her terrarium so she might have just rubbed herself too hard. Her eating habits and physical activity have not changed. It seems to hurt when I touch it. If anyone could help me figure out what it is and what to do about it, it would be much appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes their hands will scab when they are on a hard or rough surface as you mentioned. My dragon had this for a while from running on tile. Putting down some soft fleece over the tile helped. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them t your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look like wear from walking to me. The finger especially looks concerning. I worry that this may be the start of an infection of some kind and suggest bringing her to the vet to have the scabs tested out to determine if it is an infection or not.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you go over your setup with us? Silkies require special care when compared to normal dragons.

It does look like the skin issue is potentially becoming infected. Applying some dilute honey to the area might help.

Do you use any moisturizers or creams on the dragon since hes a silkie?

Can you go over your UVB bulb with us. And how close it is to the basking site and to the floor of the enclosure?
Temps early your basking site would be important too.

Silkies are much more sensitive to cutting and scraping themselves. Its typically best to leave rough items out of their tanks. If husbandry is fine, it's most likely just some scrapes and cuts and some raw unpasteurized honey should help a lot.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few pics of the set up ? That can be very helpful. If there are any loose insects in the tank they can nibble on your beardie at night and hide during the day. When I had my silkie I kept him on newspaper and the basking logs in his tank were rounded, with no sharp edges at all. He still had a few blemishes here + there and a tip of a toe that came off. Here's a pic of him :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29976/full

ARESpapa

Original Poster
107474-8252615421.jpg
107474-2932868311.jpg
She has a 150 watt bulb in a 40 galon tank. It usually stays around 110-120 around her basking spot. I use "repti shedding aid" by zoomed around twice month and bathe her twice weekly.
107474-6020525028.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is way too hot for a silkback. That's too hot for a normal scaled dragon too.

Are you relying on those dial thermometers or do you have another means of measuring the temperatures?

You typically need to apply a moisturizer to their skin to keep it healthy, along with weaker UV and lower temperatures. How long have you had her?
What's her name?

-Brandon

ARESpapa

Original Poster
I have a temperature gun I use to check her temp. I have had her since July 14 and her name is Ares

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is a basking bulb only -- your dragon needs a UVB --- I am assuming silkies use a UVB like regular dragons -- so I am going to recommend you get a 24" fixture w a reflector and w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or a T 8 ---- and I would be looking at getting this right away--- unless someone else on here like Brandon or AHBD say something different
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom