Lump on Beardie's Jaw

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Lump on Beardie's Jaw

Postby pamhaffenden » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:52 pm

First time poster here...

My 6 year old female, Clementine, has a lump on her right jaw, under her mouth. I noticed this a few days ago. The lump is hard and "moveable" and feels like a small marble rolling around in there. Her gums on that side are a little red and it seems sensitive to touch. She had some kale and crickets earlier and is eating fine.

Thoughts? Thank you!
pamhaffenden
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Lump on Beardie's Jaw

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Need to post pics of dragon please -
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box - then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby pamhaffenden » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:01 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
pamhaffenden
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:59 am

Hello,

That will probably be either an abscess or a cyst, but, hopefully not a tumor. It moves,
correct & is hard?
Can you think of any time she may have fallen & hurt herself, or possibly an insect bit
her?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby Drache613 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 am

Hello,

That is concerning! It will most likely be either an absces, or a cyst but, hopefully not a tumor.
Can you think of anytime that she might have fallen & hurt herself, or possibly gotten an insect
bite?
Does it seem to be bothering her?
I do think it needs to be looked at by a vet. Are you able to get her to a vet for analysis?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:50 am

What is the white sandy stuff ? Please tell me it's NOT VITA-SAND or CALCI-SAND .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby pamhaffenden » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:What is the white sandy stuff ? Please tell me it's NOT VITA-SAND or CALCI-SAND .

It's what was recommended I use when I got her 6 years ago... Reptilite. So I don't know if it IS or IS NOT Vita-Sand or Calci-Sand. But thanks for the snotty red font.
pamhaffenden
Newbie Poster

Postby pamhaffenden » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

That is concerning! It will most likely be either an absces, or a cyst but, hopefully not a tumor.
Can you think of anytime that she might have fallen & hurt herself, or possibly gotten an insect
bite?
Does it seem to be bothering her?
I do think it needs to be looked at by a vet. Are you able to get her to a vet for analysis?

Tracie

Thank you, Tracie. It is hard and kind of moves in there like a small marble. I have an appointment for her on Wednesday.
pamhaffenden
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:51 am

Hello,

Terrific, I hope that they aspirate the area, to send it off for analysis. If they can aspirate
some fluids then they can try to determine if there is bacteria present, etc so that they can
more directly treat it.
Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie
Drache613

Postby MrSpectrum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:16 am

pamhaffenden wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:What is the white sandy stuff ? Please tell me it's NOT VITA-SAND or CALCI-SAND .

It's what was recommended I use when I got her 6 years ago... Reptilite. So I don't know if it IS or IS NOT Vita-Sand or Calci-Sand. But thanks for the snotty red font.

Perhaps it was recommended by someone who sells pet supplies? :dontknow:

It says clearly on the label that it's CALCIUM SUBSTRATE. All bold caps is exactly how it's printed on the label. Not being "snotty" (and I don't think kingofnobbys was either--just going for emphasis). For the health/safety of your pet, please discard it. For the time being, you can replace it with paper towel until you can find/get something safer/more suitable.

Don't take my word for it--check it out for yourself.
calcium sand for bearded dragons

There are also several links in the above search to articles on choosing much safer substrates. :wink:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby pamhaffenden » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:20 am

Thank you.
pamhaffenden
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health