Should I Be Giving My Bearded Dragon Calcium Everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is the dragon and what kind of UVB are you using? Brand and bulb is it a bulb w/ D3?
Karrie

ryexbread

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3694yype said:
How old is the dragon and what kind of UVB are you using? Brand and bulb is it a bulb w/ D3?
Karrie

i’m not exactly sure on if the bulb has D3 or not but it’s a dual lamp with the coil and some light , the UVB is 10.0 desert from zoomed reptisun. my beardie is under a year

ryexbread

Original Poster
sorry i take that back, i’m not quite sure if my lamp is considered a coil, its not curly but it’s not a dome. i have the dome light and that one

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am thinking coil-- is it in a dome or long fixture like florescent Tube-- if it's a coil and it's the 13 watt and in a 40 gallon tank or bigger- he's basically not getting UVB-- look on the bulb itself or take a pic and post-
Karrie

ryexbread

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3hfosvoq said:
I am thinking coil-- is it in a dome or long fixture like florescent Tube-- if it's a coil and it's the 13 watt and in a 40 gallon tank or bigger- he's basically not getting UVB-- look on the bulb itself or take a pic and post-
Karrie

i’m struggling on figuring out how to post a picture but it is the 13 watt one i’m pretty sure , could you send me a picture of a better UVB bulb? i have two on during the day; the basking dome bulb and that coil one. is that enough or should the wattage be higher on the coil?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If the application of the calcium dust coating is very light , which is what I do , everyday is fine.

Only need enough calcium coating to cover the insect, you really don't need it caked on thick.

ryexbread

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1k7ea8n8 said:
If the application of the calcium dust coating is very light , which is what I do , everyday is fine.

Only need enough calcium coating to cover the insect, you really don't need it caked on thick.

i sprinkle like a teaspoon on top then shake it all around in a bowl, is that okay?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ryexbread":106kcpx8 said:
KarrieRee":106kcpx8 said:
Karrie

i’m struggling on figuring out how to post a picture but it is the 13 watt one i’m pretty sure , could you send me a picture of a better UVB bulb? i have two on during the day; the basking dome bulb and that coil one. is that enough or should the wattage be higher on the coil?

A 13W coiled UVB globe is never going to be adequate for a bearded dragon .
How-to-read-the-graph-for-p.png

Will not have the UVA and UVB output to penetrate far. I'd be aiming for about 180 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.

In the short term , I suggest you exchange it for an EXO TERRA 26W UVB200 .
The basking spot needs to be about 8 inches from the 26W UVB200.

Longer term , a good investment is a 24W T5ho 12% UVB tube and reflector hood to suit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep and those kits are NO GOOD -- you can get the Reptisun 26 watt - I have not heard anything bad about them yet - but IMO I would ditch the coil all together and get this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.t_5kd2hzxt.webp
24" fixture w/ this bulb 22" - https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/xarcadia-bulb-white.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FsL3waO-3N.webp
these are really good bulbs and they need to be replaced once a year - if you notice it has the D3
please ask if you have any more questions
Karrie

ryexbread

Original Poster
is it possible to not have to use tubes lighting and just this lamp that i have ? that takes the two bulbs?

ryexbread

Original Poster
i will say though i am very paranoid at the moment because i’m tight on money and my lighting system is not correct. i’ve had my bearded dragon for a month with this lighting so i’m scared something will happen to her. i had no idea i had the wrong lighting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would be the Reptisun 26 watt --- you can get rid of the 13 but it must be 8 inches from the basking spot making the basking bulb more than likely too hot for him -------------- I would move the decor 8 inches from the basking bulb get a temp an accurate one and go from there --- my guess its going to be too hot - you can always go w/ a lower wattage for bulb bringing basking temps down but you want them 95-110 for a adult / juvie -- the dome for the UVB does it have a reflector in it ? I am assuming it does --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom