Forgetting to Turn Off The Lights

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Forgetting to Turn Off The Lights

Postby Mack92011 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:01 am

Hey, there, beardie experts!

I hope this is in the right area, not sure if it would be under lighting or health.

I wanted some advice about lighting and sleep schedule. I have occasionally forgotten to turn off the lights in my beardie's tank (I know, I'm a terrible person, toss your stones lol). I don't have a timed outlet or lightswitch and can't afford one for the time being.

When this unfortunate mistake happens what is the best way to get the beardie's sleep schedule back on track ASAP? Do you turn the lights off for a few hours to let them get SOME darkness during daylight or is it best to leave them on and turn them off at the regular time?

The few times I've done this it doesn't seem to affect his overall health, but he always develops stress marks for the day and I don't want him to be upset or unhappy. Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks!

- Mackenzie
Mack92011
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Forgetting to Turn Off The Lights

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:04 am

Hi Mackenzie,

If you forgot to do it, just remember for the next time. Try to keep them on the same schedule. Leave the lights on during the day, don't try to make up for it by turning them off. They will sleep at night with the lights on, just not very well.

Times are really cheap though, you can find a cheap timer for less than 10 bucks and then you just need to plug all of your lights into it. It's well worth the money :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby SandP » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Timers are cheap these days but you could always set an alarm on your phone until you are able to get one.
SandP
Hatchling Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:03 pm

Invest in an inline light timer , there are mechanical clockwork analog versions that work fine, or even better 24hr electronic timers that can used in a set and forget manner.

No more forgetting to turn lights on/off if you have a timer.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 am

You can't swing $6 for a timer and $2 for an outlet tap? :shock:

If it were me, I'd skip lunch (or Starbucks) one day.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health