Vitamins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin124

So, found out today merlin is a she (flashlight)... just wondering if there is anything special I need to do for her. Almost four months too.

Also, do I need to get more vitamins? All I have is the zoo med calcium with d3 do I need something else like maybe this...
106979-7711333264.jpg
or something more reputable.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe Marilyn? ?
As far as I know Flukers is a good product. I use the vitamins and the calcium, very light dusting, couple times a week, but my boy is 2.5 years old and eats well, a varied diet. I think I give him the little dusting just to make me feel better. ? Obviously a young and growing Dragon would need more.
-Dee

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The vitamins only really need to be given 1-2 times per week, max.
As far as calcium with D3, I would also keep calcium without D3 on hand, too. I feel that
too much D3 can become toxic over time.
Which UVB do you use?

Tracie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
zilla0189":q3ctp0c3 said:
All I have is the zoo med calcium with d3 do I need something else
Here's an article from Reptiles Magazine (whom I generally consider to be a reputable source).
It explains the need for Herp multivitamins further down. There are several good products out there.
This one is recommended by my breeder, which I use one meal/week.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Drache613":1styr22k said:
I feel that too much D3 can become toxic over time.
AFAIK, that depends on the amount & quality of UVB they get, either naturally (sunlight) or synthetically from a UVB bulb, right?

To elucidate, since no bulb can compare with natural unimpeded (by glass or plexi) sunlight, dragons who don't get much/any direct sun need more D3 supplementation than those who can catch some rays--even once a week.

Vitamins and Minerals for a Bearded Dragon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To elaborate on what Tracie said, I think she is mainly referring to supplemental D3 being toxic over time. It is noted that (at least with natural sunlight) once enough D3 has been synthesized via the skin, that the continuing rays actually destroy more D3 from being created. It is an assumption, but if you assume that the same process takes place with our artificial lighting, then it is possible that dietary D3 can lead to overdoses much easier than naturally synthesised D3. Pair that with "if" your dragon is meeting it's d3 requirements via lighting, then it's even easier to understand how supplemental D3 could lead to a problem.

All that being said, I still mainly use calcium with D3. But once i'm out of it I will most likely be switching to only calcium. Especially now that I have a solarmeter and can continue to monitor my UV levels.

In the past (before I got back into dragons) there were no t5's and I definitely didn't have a meter. Calcium + d3 was a good safety measure.
But.. I'm rambling like usual.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
For the record, there's no conflict/disagreement in anything I said with anything you or Tracie said.
I never really looked at how much D3 is actually needed or how much is in the Reptical; I trust the breeder's advice/care sheet.

The amount of calcium dust he actually ingests is less than dusted, as I only dust his num-nums, and crawling through his salad, they rub a lot off. He doesn't like the taste anyway, so he doesn't eat the salad that's got calcium dust on it.

There's probably something to be said for annual checkup blood test results as well.

Merlin124

Original Poster
Also just a question but she has been shedding a lot... 2 weeks ago she shed starting with her tail ad worked up. Then her stomach started to shed along with her beard, now as of this morning her beard I starting to shed again and is moving down.Just wondering if it is normal.
106979-3211191860.jpg

106979-835779664.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
+1

ZaRDoZ sheds in sections. First his tail, then his arms & legs, then the rest of him, repeat. It makes him look kinda like a panda. :lol: I've never seen him all at once without some part or other shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom