Bearded Dragon Dragging Back Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexxythebeardie

Just wanted to share a little bit of information on a recent incident that happened with my 2y/o beardie that may help others.
Last week my beardie Rex suddenly became paralysed within his back legs, he couldn’t move properly and would just drag himself around with his front legs - no warning signs, no other obvious signs of illness, he hadn’t suffered any trauma and was healthy otherwise.
So I spend the evening frantically trawling the internet for potential things that could cause this to happen... the same things came back with every search result, metabolic bone disease, impaction and gout :( Fearing the worst I immediately booked him in to see a herpetologist.
Well it turns out that my little BOY is actually a little GIRL :D (we had had her sexed before and told she was a boy) so the herp kept her in for a few tests, blood test, x-ray and fecal exam and after a few worrying hours I got a call back, turns out she had got swelling and fluid around her ovaries which was causing pressure on her spine and stopping her from moving her back legs. All her other tests came back normal :blob5: the herp told me that she would need five injections 3 days apart, of an antibiotic to fight the infection that was causing the swelling around the ovaries and within her legs, and an oral painkiller every 1-3 days. He told me that after the medication had run it’s course she should get ready to lay her eggs and if she does everything should be back to normal, if not it means that she will have to be spayed to prevent further complications in her life. Fingers crossed that over the next 2 weeks all settles down and she returns to her normal sassy self, it’s too early to say at this stage but she seems to be doing better :D just wanted to share my story for anyone else that may be experiencing this with their little one

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you were able to get her to the vet. It sounds like they are experienced and helpful too! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom