Beardie not eating and running crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosebloom6363

Hi guys!
I'm coming to my wits end with my little weirdo. Bug stopped eating several months ago. He has no interest in feeders, greens, or anything that can't be licked off his nose. He will eat almost anything I give him if I put it in his mouth, but will not strike anything can can barely be bothered to take fruit out of my fingers. The vet and I assumed he could be bruminating, but he doesn't sleep much more than usual, he just goes to bed a bit earlier. He is still full of energy and loves running around my room. He lets himself out of his tank several times during his active period (he can let himself back in, but he might go to sleep in the corner). The rest of the day he scoots around his basking rock to decide exactly how warm he wants to be (between 120 and 90 the light is really close to part of the rock, but he moves in and out of that spot). He is under a Murcury ballast bulb that is in his tank, and his temps are correct, although it may get a bit cool if I turn the heat off. He almost never comes to the cool side unless he wants out though. Over the holiday, he did eat a few bsl but then he lost interest in all grubby type foods. He also roll not touch his crickets or dubia. He just watches them walk past him. The only thing he might consider is hornworms. I give him water from a dropper daily, baths weekly, and I handfeed him greens or puffs because he'll eat them. He loses weight when he stops eating because he's always running around! But no matter what I leave in the tank he is not interested and will not eat for weeks. Do I need to be worried, or is he just super spoiled?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would work on getting that 120 down to 110 max- are you keeping an eye on his weight? So hes basking and lots of activity I am assuming the poop has slowed down- what does his poop look like ? is it runny? or is it formed moist and dark and urate formed moist and white ? I would say hes spoiled if he can come and go out of his tank - and hes learned to open the doors? great dragon!! Hes got spring fever from what it sounds like and maybe his hormones are kicking in -- I would keep an eye on his weight and go from there - just keep offering him his salads and insects he will eat when hes hungry - if hes loosing weight then I would get him into the vet
Karrie

rosebloom6363

Original Poster
Thanks. The temp is kind of a lesser of two evils thing and it's only in one spot according to my temp gun. It's the only way for his light to be close enough for any uvb. His poops look normal for the most part, soft brown with white urate, but they can be a bit runny sometimes. Most likely because what he will eat with the least fuss is grapes and I can't resist him.
My big concern is that he's been doing this since September! We went to the vet and he had some parasites that we got treated. But if I don't feed him, he just won't eat! The vet said to let him be, but feed him if his weight drops, so here we are!
And he climbs over the top of his tank and walks across my bed ?. I just got him a little ladder so he has two ways back into his tank lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ha, funny boy having a good time there. :) He looks good, he's probably just going through a phase.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
So you have an all in one bulb? Mercury Vapor Bulb?

Haven't had the direct experience with them, but the more I read about them the less beneficial they seem. Your dragon has no choice but to choose the hot spot in order to get UVB. There is less information available online for the Mercury Vapor bulbs with bearded dragons so that problem leads to people not knowing what to advise other people. From what I've researched you still need to provide a UVB tube light for the cool side of the enclosure.

You should also consider upgrading your tank to a 4'x2'x2' size with front opening doors sooner than later. That size is needed for adult dragons. Those size tanks often have a solid top which makes creating a temperature gradient easier. You can hang lights inside, with the Mercury Vapor Bulb you need to be careful it is not too hot. Getting that hot spot area to 110°F, then a high 90°s area on the hot side, to high to mid 80°s on the cool side. You can have a hide on each end for a warm hide and cool hide. All those things creates a micro habitat so your dragon can choose how much heat, UVB, or shade he needs.

A digital kitchen scale that measure in grams is good to track weight. Keep a text log on your phone when you check his weight every week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom