Cause of Yellow Fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Is it contagious or acquired from something we can control, like humidity? Is it something they likely carry but usually doesn't bother them unless it gets out of hand?
I'm curious as I see it is a dreaded condition and can be fatal if not caught and treated properly early.
Wondered if it is preventable in some way? Can proper housekeeping fend it off? Etc?
Thanks ahead of time for all those in the know. ?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cause
poor hygiene
depressed immune response related to low temps, prescribed antibiotics, poor nutrition, or cohabitation
direct or indirect contact with an infected reptile
If yellow fungus infection is confirmed, aggressive treatment is required to extend the bearded dragon’s life. The most common course of action is prescription oral antifungal medication and daily soaking in a medicated solution such as chlorhexidine or Betadine. Applying a topical treatment such as providone-iodine, silvadene cream, or Monistat yeast infection treatment daily also slows the infection’s progress.

Some bearded dragon owners have also used immune system-boosting remedies such as probiotics, increased night temps, and increased UVB intensity. Food-grade bee pollen is also said to stimulate appetite and enhance the immune system.

There is no cure for bearded dragon yellow fungus. Most victims die naturally within 12-18 months of diagnosis, but if the animal’s health deteriorates to the point where they are suffering, the ethical course of action is euthanasia.
Read this post
Blisters on eye and mouth, also clumps by neck under ER posted by Lei23lani
this was a terrible case - the dragon died
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ogrddz2 said:
Cause
poor hygiene
depressed immune response related to low temps, prescribed antibiotics, poor nutrition, or cohabitation
direct or indirect contact with an infected reptile
If yellow fungus infection is confirmed, aggressive treatment is required to extend the bearded dragon’s life. The most common course of action is prescription oral antifungal medication and daily soaking in a medicated solution such as chlorhexidine or Betadine. Applying a topical treatment such as providone-iodine, silvadene cream, or Monistat yeast infection treatment daily also slows the infection’s progress.

Some bearded dragon owners have also used immune system-boosting remedies such as probiotics, increased night temps, and increased UVB intensity. Food-grade bee pollen is also said to stimulate appetite and enhance the immune system.

There is no cure for bearded dragon yellow fungus. Most victims die naturally within 12-18 months of diagnosis, but if the animal’s health deteriorates to the point where they are suffering, the ethical course of action is euthanasia.
Read this post
Blisters on eye and mouth, also clumps by neck under ER posted by Lei23lani
this was a terrible case - the dragon died
Karrie

Thank you Karrie! Then I am understanding that it can mostly be avoided with proper temps, house keeping, uvb etc? Pretty much all the stuff we should be doing for optimal health care already?
Let me know if I misunderstood. Thanks so much! I want to make sure my boy shouldn't get it as I am aware how awful it can be. I'm all for prevention if possible.?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Either they need to be around another dragon w/ it - or very poor housekeeping on the owners - my dragons are kept on tile and tanks are cleaned daily immediately after pooping - simply because I dont want them running thru it - I know some people dont have the advantage of being able to clean the tank right after but it should be taken care of daily - that is why I like the tile its gone no lingering after smell w/ carpet or sand or sand mats I have had 2 out of the 3 they were a pain in the butt keeping it clean -
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2bfa3dn6 said:
Either they need to be around another dragon w/ it - or very poor housekeeping on the owners - my dragons are kept on tile and tanks are cleaned daily immediately after pooping - simply because I dont want them running thru it - I know some people dont have the advantage of being able to clean the tank right after but it should be taken care of daily - that is why I like the tile its gone no lingering after smell w/ carpet or sand or sand mats I have had 2 out of the 3 they were a pain in the butt keeping it clean -
Karrie

Agreed. I'm currently using newspaper with only a small section of reptile carpet under his hide and salad dish. He hasnt poo'd on the carpet yet thankfully but I bought a large piece so I could cut a small one for his tank. That way I can put in a new piece while washing the other one, if needed.
Finally showing improvement from my back/hip injury in Dec and hope to be able to get to Lowe's and find tiles that I like soon, maybe later in the week. Until then, newspaper is fine and will probably continue to use it for the convenience. I also try to keep eye out to grab the paper as soon as he does his biz. ?
Thanks again! I'm sure there are other newbies that didn't know what causes yellow fungus or that we can prevent it most times.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom