URGENT, infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

FESTUS

106747-1222907058.jpg
Hi so I got my beardy about 1 month ago. He is a healthy eater a little over a year old. He is eating great and is active. When I got him he had a dark spot on his back which the breeder said was due to an infection he used to have but is gone now and that the dark spot was just a scab. But I've come to notice this past week that this spot is becoming purple around it.
Any ideas as to why??
He seems fine and acts fine but I'm worried this infection wasn't completely cleared.
I dont know how to attach photos for you to see
106747-5654616486.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That definitely looks like an abscess. How long has it looked like this?
Most of the time they start small but if not treated will spread & compartmentalize in
growth.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey you could start using on
it right now? I recommend considering finding a vet since it appears to be infected right now.
Is he eating right now?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

FESTUS

Original Poster
Yes he is eating.
I dont know what an abscess is.
Do I just rub the Honey on it?
Do all vets take reptiles?

An abscess is a puss filled wound, and it doesn't look to great. You rub the honey on it since it acts as a natural antibacterial as well as makes a barrier. Depending on your area, you can look up reptile vet's near you, or exotic animal vet (typically the same results show up.) Are these pictures taken some time apart, because the second image makes the skin look very pale while the first your beardie still has color in that area. Just curious if that second image was taken while they were in shed.

I have no experience using it, but Vetericyn can be found at petsmart / petco if thats easier to access. It's supposed to be a general antimicrobial / wound care product. Judging by the ingredients, its just a salty chlorine mix, which should be safe in small amounts. If you go this route, be careful to keep the water dish in your enclosure clean after you use it, as the chlorine may break down and form ammonia in the water.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
FESTUS":3v44t34f said:
Thank you this is very helpful
I will keep you updated on hos state

Please don't trust the pet shop to treat this properly , taking your dragon to them is a waste of time.
You need to locate a competent reptile vet who is knowledgeable and have this infection identified , the abscess drained and sampled , and the dragon started on a suitable antibiotic treatment ( will likely involve injections ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom