Not eating and always hiding/ sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to give some backstory. Dubia roach.com stopped shipping live dubias during the month of December 2019. I last ordered before they stopped shipping and it came on dec 11. They wouldn’t ship till January 8-13. During the month of December I ran out pretty quick. When it ran out I tried to give her repashy and salads. She wouldn’t touch anything. She would eat the repashy I gave her like 3 days out of the week. I started worrying cause she wouldn’t eat. I went online for Dubai’s and nothing and even went to petco as last resort came back with the tinyest dubias I’ve ever seen. It was the only ones they had better something than nothing. Now it January 12 I have a lot of dubias now good for the whole month. She still will not eat and mostly spends her time in the log sleeping or just chilling. I’ve tried feeding her dubias and still barely anything. she ate yesterday like 5 dubias but still that’s little for her normal appetite before the dubias stopped. She is only 5 months old and near 13 inches.i don’t have a gram scale to weigh her she does look a bit less chunky than back in November. I don’t know anymore. She got rid of parasites back in early November no more medicine. It would be really appreciated if anyone has advice. I have a t5 reptisun and normal basking temps are 103 and cool side 82. I always dusted her dubias mon, tues,wed, thurs, calcium. Friday, sat,sun multivitamin.

To me it just sounds like brumation but I’m no expert. If I was you I would do some research on brumation especially if it’s winter where you are. It’s basically just hibernation for reptiles where they’ll stop eating and just sleep a lot, they go through this in the wild and normally do in captivity.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
5 months old is too young for brumation--- please post pics if your tank and lighting- go to top of page click on user image uploader- down load pics- click on ximg at top of message box then click on pic - please tell us basking temps and how your taking them
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q6ulhnjb said:
5 months old is too young for brumation--- please post pics if your tank and lighting- go to top of page click on user image uploader- down load pics- click on ximg at top of message box then click on pic - please tell us basking temps and how your taking them
Karrie
106198-8556269859.jpg
I take temperatures with a probe. I have a herpstat 2 temperatures are 103 at most of the time. It goes up to 106 because she moves and drops the probe a lot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to take a piece of decor place under that UVB -- at this point she is probably not getting enough -- what is the bulb is it a T 8 or a T 5 that is important so I need an answer
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3u9n7i82 said:
You need to take a piece of decor place under that UVB -- at this point she is probably not getting enough -- what is the bulb is it a T 8 or a T 5 that is important so I need an answer
Karrie
T5 on top of wire mesh.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Since its a T 5 basking spot on top of mesh should be 6-8 inches --- that screen is blocking 30% of the rays -- so take a piece of decor place under that UVB - she is not eating because she is not getting UVB that she needs --- the UVB is for absorption of calcium and to prevent MBD --- poops should be firm moist and dark and urate firm moist and white --- sometimes there is extra liquid that is ok
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3tfwrue3 said:
Since its a T 5 basking spot on top of mesh should be 6-8 inches --- that screen is blocking 30% of the rays -- so take a piece of decor place under that UVB - she is not eating because she is not getting UVB that she needs --- the UVB is for absorption of calcium and to prevent MBD --- poops should be firm moist and dark and urate firm moist and white --- sometimes there is extra liquid that is ok
Karrie
Would it be better if I put the uvb inside the tank and if yes where would I acquire something to hang it.

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
Mishathedragon":2b6fv620 said:
KarrieRee":2b6fv620 said:
Karrie
Would it be better if I put the uvb inside the tank and if yes where would I acquire something to hang it and the uvb has a reflector.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":z8i947iu said:
How tall is the tank ?? And yes it would be better if you decide to hang in the tank it would need to be 12-15 inches inside --- no closer than 12 inches -- you can hang w/ these
command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nylon-Cable-Tie-Ties-Black-2-5-3-5-4-8-7-6-9-X-100-150-200-300-370-530mm-UV-Good/332871964184?hash=item4d80b71618:m:m40KOkegiGiJeePUguhY5cQ&var=541991102297
Karrie
The tank is 12 inches but in feb I’m getting the 36x18x24 50 gallon tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so it can go into the tank put a low piece of decor under the UVB - strap it right to the top of the mesh it doesnt need to hang so that your getting the basking spot 12-15 inches away from the UVB -- its easier to move decor around after you get the fixture situated ----
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom