Not eating enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerald14

Hi everyone. I have a 3.5 to 4 month old bearded dragon that I received thanksgiving week of 2019. Since getting her, she’s never been a big eater averaging at 5-8 roaches a day. Some days, like today, she won’t eat any roach at all although she did eat baby bokchoy this morning. She doesn’t have a strong hunting response either. She really won’t go after any bugs unless it is a super worm. He basking temp is at around 100 degrees F and I have a T5 10.0 bulb on top of her screen lid. ——I’m very worried that she’s not eating enough....or is her behavior normal?

LimKH

Emerald14":rccagjuz said:
Hi everyone. I have a 3.5 to 4 month old bearded dragon that I received thanksgiving week of 2019. Since getting her, she’s never been a big eater averaging at 5-8 roaches a day. Some days, like today, she won’t eat any roach at all although she did eat baby bokchoy this morning. She doesn’t have a strong hunting response either. She really won’t go after any bugs unless it is a super worm. He basking temp is at around 100 degrees F and I have a T5 10.0 bulb on top of her screen lid. ——I’m very worried that she’s not eating enough....or is her behavior normal?

Can you take a picture of her? It might help me. Where did you get her from? Pet shop or a breeder? Do you let it bask for at least for an hour after she eats? Does she poop regularly? How big are the roaches?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If shes eating 5-8 roaches per day plus salads and worms she is more than likely getting enough - are you watching her / his weight? Is she / he shedding? Basking temps could go a little higher - babies usually like it 105-110- also the T 5 is on top of screen is that screen fine mesh or a wide hole screen? If its wide holed the UVB should be 6-8 inches from decor piece - the screen is blocking 30% of the rays - if its a fine mesh I would advise to get the fixture into the tank approx 12-15 inches from decor piece- his poops are going to tell you alot --- you want firm moist dark and firm moist white urate --
Karrie

Emerald14

Original Poster
Thank u all so much for the reply! I have some pictures here of my set up.
DAB97-C69-1382-45-EE-B5-D6-9-EAC8-D6-BADD5.jpg

9-CE2287-E-A6-EC-4-C59-82-C5-21-AD10-C2989-A.jpg

She poops every 2 days (like clock-work) and has shed her tail and back for me. Her head has been really ashy since jan1. I’ve been bathing her every 2 days but it still hasn’t come off...
—-to increase the basking temp, I have moved the heat bulb closer to her rock mountain in the corner
—-she is from a breeder online
—-screen is a Zilla open air mesh screen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the hammocks are under the UVB-- is she sitting on them? The shed will come off give it time-- it will get real white-- the baths will be good when the shed gets really dried out and crunchy- she might start dragging her belly or rubbing her head on decor pieces- trying to get shed off- don't pick at it - you can take a soft toothe brush in the bath to get the loose skin off-- you can always offer more salad and variety- collards mustard turnip or kale greens-- squash all kinds butternut shredded- green beans all fresh- fruit occasionally no citrus
Karrie

Emerald14

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lfse04m said:
So the hammocks are under the UVB-- is she sitting on them? The shed will come off give it time-- it will get real white-- the baths will be good when the shed gets really dried out and crunchy- she might start dragging her belly or rubbing her head on decor pieces- trying to get shed off- don't pick at it - you can take a soft toothe brush in the bath to get the loose skin off-- you can always offer more salad and variety- collards mustard turnip or kale greens-- squash all kinds butternut shredded- green beans all fresh- fruit occasionally no citrus
Karrie
This girl is so picky, I’m telling u. She won’t touch carrots and will only take a bite of collard green and bell pepper. She love baby bokchoy tho so I’ve been giving her that.
She mostly hangs out on the brown branch in the middle
—hopefully she’ll eat bugs today...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is that brown branch under the UVB? If it is is it 6-8 inches from UVB? She needs the UVB-- if it's not move that branch so it is-- how big are the roaches- they are filling- mine is 6.5 months and he eats anywhere from 5-10- and depending on how many sometimes he won't eat any one day either-- they will eat when they are hungry- just offer - you can get some other worms to offer variety as well-- butterworms- silkworms they are spendy-- waxworms they are like candy- bsfl they are another staple and do not need to be dusted-- super worms-- you can put on top of the salads-- 1-3 medium size- horn worms a good hydrating worm and they grow fast so order small amounts- if you would like websites for those let me know-
Karrie

LimKH

Emerald14":2kc0vmix said:
Thank u all so much for the reply! I have some pictures here of my set up.
DAB97-C69-1382-45-EE-B5-D6-9-EAC8-D6-BADD5.jpg

9-CE2287-E-A6-EC-4-C59-82-C5-21-AD10-C2989-A.jpg

She poops every 2 days (like clock-work) and has shed her tail and back for me. Her head has been really ashy since jan1. I’ve been bathing her every 2 days but it still hasn’t come off...
—-to increase the basking temp, I have moved the heat bulb closer to her rock mountain in the corner
—-she is from a breeder online
—-screen is a Zilla open air mesh screen

Try and put the basking lamp in the hammock side and the UVB in the middle but more to the right. If it's long enough, just out it where the UVB will reach throughout the tank. Do you have multivitamins? Calcium? Vitamin a is quite important as well. Feed carrots occasionally or as treats.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Is that dial thermometer what you are using to measure your temps? Or do you have another means for measuring?

Those dials can't really be trusted, plus they have no way of giving you the basking surface temp, which is the most important temp.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom