Baby bearded dragon sleeps a lot and wont eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Freya about a month ago from petsmart (i know, i wont do it again i learned). Shes never ate a whole lot but i chaulked it up to being moved and stressed in a new environment. Im not sure how old she is. I can tell you shes approx 6 inches long and 9.2 grams as of Monday. Im guessing around 7 weeks or so. She was about 4 and a half inches when i first got her. So she IS growing a little.. We have another one however who has just about exploded in growth (she was freyas size when we got her 2 months ago and now shes 11 inches and fat) so im concerned about her eating and sleeping all day.
She eats about 3 bugs every sitting(so 3x a day) on her own. Sometimes up to 5 but not more than that. I feed her dubia roaches, bsfl, and the occasional crickets just to mix it up.

Basking area is 110 degrees at the highest point, but shes got a nice stick she moves down when she gets warm. Cool side is about 81 degrees.
Shes in a 20 gallon tank while we build a custom enclosure for the both of them.

She has a repti sun hood 10.0 uvb light (it does sit on a screen tho) and a 75 watt household light for basking.
She gets calcium powder 3-4 times a week, and vitamin powder 2x a week. (She wont eat fruits or veggies)

I wasn't bathing her much because i was trying to let her get adjusted to her new home. Now im bathing her every other day since taking her to the vet.
I took her to the vet Monday. He wasn't concerned about parasites, said he didnt want to treat for them because the medicine can cause more damage than the possibility of parasites. He told me i was doing everything right, and showed me how to assist feed her.
She was pretty lively at the vet, she bit him when he opened her mouth. He said her bones felt good, only thing he could feel was she had some stool in her, so he told me to start bathing her every other day.
She has been pooping at least once a day since ive started doing that and paying attention.
I also have reptiaid to start giving her hoping itll boost her appetite.

She closes her eyes a lot during the day. Giving her a bath really seems to wake her up though.

A few questions.
1.) Precisely how much should a 6 inch bearded dragon be eating every day?
2.) What kind of weight gain should i be seeing per week? Im going to start weighing every couple days or so.
3.) Has anyone dealt with this and did the baby come out of it? Ive seen a lot of posts where the baby didnt make it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First of all is she housed w/ the other dragon now??????? For one to be thriving and the other not to be is a sign to me one is taking over the basking area and UVB area making it harder for the other to thrive that is why I asked -- she needs to be separated from the other dragon if this is the case so she can have her own lights etc----------------- even if you haft to put her in a tote to do this ---- other wise she probably wont make it ---- do you plan to house them together ? Not recommended !! Dragons grow at different rates -- what size roaches are you feeding her ? If the bug is too big shes going to struggle to eat it -- insects should not be any bigger that the size between their eyes -- the UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8 ? on top of screen is good for either being shes in a 20 gallon tank --- the T 5 is going to be strong tho --- recommended for a 20 gallon would be a T 8 and sitting on top of the tank approx 6-8 inches w/ out the screen -- you need to get her started on greens as soon as you can - put her salad in a glass bowl w/ some BSFL on top of salad w/ some butter worms or 3 super worms for movement to get her to the bowl -- let her see you add these worms to her salad --
Karrie

N3ph1l1mxx

Original Poster
No they arent housed together and they cannot see each other. Shes getting 1/4 nymphs, nothing bigger than the space between her eyes. Ive offered fresh veggies every day as well as fruit about 2x a week and she will not touch them. She eats around them, or just doesnt eat at all.

N3ph1l1mxx

Original Poster
And its a t5, sitting on top of the screen. It came with a 5.0 reptisun bulb but i changed it out for a 10.0.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am wondering if the T 5 is too strong even on top of screen -- you can put the 5.0 back in and leave on top of tank w/ out the screen -- that would be the equivalent of a T 8--- I would see if that makes a difference -- someone else on here would need to weigh in on the T 5 for the 20 gallon tank -- it could be she is dehyrated--- you can try water on the nose - spraying her w/ water or even a bath --- they wont eat if they are dehydrated as well
Karrie

N3ph1l1mxx

Original Poster
In case anyone was wondering, Freya weighed in at 14.6 g yesterday (before poo) and the last couple of days has been consistently eating 3x a day, 7-14 dubias per feeding. So thats way better than she was doing, and she seems to have perked up as well.
So im just going to continue to monitor her eating and on days she doesnt eat much supplement it with my baby food/baby beardie pellet/reptiboost concoction.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How big are the roaches? her eating the 7-14 a day is good - I would stop the supplement feeding and get her on greens --- here is a website for nutrition -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- she needs to start on a salad every day - you can order these for her BSFL from here https://symtonbsf.com/ another great staple feeder and they dont need to be dusted --- put them in a glass bowl so they cant get out on top of her salad and add some super worms 1-3 only to entice her to her salad bowl ---- you can also add some butter worms as a on and off worm as well you can feed as many BSFL to her --- they are full of calcium -- make sure you add the worms so she sees you do this so it gets her attention
Karrie

N3ph1l1mxx

Original Poster
Another update. She has been consistently eating (like 30 bugs+ a day now) and i have stopped feeding her for about a week now. Shes now weighing in at 20g and 7 inches. She has been all over the place and now shes shedding.
I still dont know what caused the problem to begin with, maybe stress, but i think we're past the worrisome part now.

If anyone else has this issue, dont give up! Keep supplementing their food and giving warm baths to stimulate the digestive track!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You didnt feed the dragon for a week? What did you stop feeding for a week? Babies need to be fed every day salad and their bugs!
Karrie

N3ph1l1mxx

Original Poster
I didnt phrase that right, I stopped supplementing with babyfood/reptiboost a week ago. Shes been eating an optimal amount on her own for a week, not that im not feeding her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good- she's eating on her own - I had to reread that post so I am glad she's eating by herself-- is she eating her salads too?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom