Lip deformity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
I recently acquired a second bearded dragon. He’s younger than my first but I’m not 100% sure about his age other than that he’s at the least a year old.
His previous owners didn’t give him proper care as they his resulted in a lip deformity (as shown in the attached images)just wondering is anyone has experience with this sort of thing and has any tips.
He drinks ALOT of water to the point he expells the excess as a clear fluid on occassion. I’m assuming he drinks so much because his mouth is to an extent always open so the air is drying his mouth out?
He does have a vets appointment on the 13th for a general checkup and all that.

101939-4861187665.jpg
101939-8913348750.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, good thing you got him out of that situation and hopefully he doesn't have any long term problems. His mouth is slightly deformed, it shouldn't be anything serious but as you mentioned the cause was most likely improper care, lack of calcium + other husbandry issues. He's most likely dehydrated because of going for periods without proper food + hydration so he's extra thirsty. Is he eating anything ?

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately he refuses to eat fruits or vegetables of his own accord at the moment so really he’s only eating mealworms although due to the lip deformity I’ve found I can ‘feed’ him thin sliced pieces of carrot by poking it between his lips which makes him lick and end up eating the carrot.
I know they need fruits and vegetables to get adequate calcium so I’m currently waiting on a delivery of reptile one liquid calcium that I can add to his water so he will be at least getting calcium when he drinks.
He’s had a few days to settle in to his new home now and seems to be a lot happier and energetic than he first was so that’s a pretty good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom