Brumation questions to the experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Hi all dragon experts - I have a few questions about brumation.
Kevin at 6 years - has never actually brumated, in the past he gets sleepy and lazy and not very hungry in the winter (I'm in Connecticut and just got 6 inches of snow). But he's even more sleepy and lazy this winter. He'll do his morning laps around the house, chase the cats and then go back under the lights and sleep.
Nona age under 2 - is really really sleepy. Sleeping on her blanky under her lights, not hiding. But sleepy, not eating, not active etc. She is going through a full body shed right now. I give them both a a bit of water everyday.
Is this brumation?? They wake up, move positions - but then back to sleep....never had this before.
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like it to me. Keep in mind brumation is a bit different for all of them. Since Kevin hasn't done this before, keep close track of his weight just to be sure it isn't illness which can seem similar with the lethargic behavior. During brumation they can slow their metabolism and maintain their weight pretty well. During illness they are more likely to lose a significant amount of weight which is why I recommend keeping tabs on that. Otherwise I'd just let them do their thing.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper - neither seem any different, just not eating and lazy. I'll keep a watch on the weight (they're both well fed, Italians believe food is love).. they go to the vet at the end of the month for their yearly check up.
I just heard & read about brumation being a deep sleep for weeks and months - not a lazy teenager hanging on the couch binge watching Stranger Things - I feel like I should give Kevin the TV remote and a bag Doritos...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they sleep for a long period but often it's much lighter. Sometimes Darwin sleeps for a long time but sometimes will wake up and just be groggy like he is on sleeping pills etc. It's not really a set thing.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Brumation is a stressful time for all of us I think!
Cooper is right though, they all seem to do something different which makes it all the more
confusing. LOL
As long as there is no weight loss then you can just let them sleep & be lazy. They will be up
& down quite a bit most likely.

Tracie

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its is stressful - Kevin has never done it before and Nona was still a sick juvenile last year and was just finally starting to feel healthy - and now she's sleeping?? She's making mother (me) nervous. But she wakes up, sniffs her food - usually would scarf down a raspberry and just falls back to sleep. Kids! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom