Could my dragon be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi , my name is O'Shea and I'm new here. My concern is my bearded dragon Rhaegal. Lately I haven't noticed him pooping on a regular and he has also stopped eating most of his insects and his salad. I've been giving baby food through sryrenge and even that is becoming less attractive to him. He has lost 60 grams since October 22. I've had a stool sample checked and it was negative but he is still losing weight. He is at 719 grams now. I'm due to take him back to vet today. Has anyone had this problem. Also I've noticed his beard black alot. He is very active in the morning running around and climbing so it confuses me when he isn't eating much. He did some salad today, again confused.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of his tank and lighting-- what are his temps in the tank and how are you taking them-- what has the vet done for check up besides fecal? Black bearding is not good and neither is losing weight -- to post pics go to the banner at top of page click user image uploader down load pics click on ximg at top of message box click on pic it should post
Karrie

Thundercat48

Original Poster
As far as his tank he is in a 150 gallon tank with a florescent light across the length. The temps are ranging between 98 and 105 at basking. The cooler side is 85 gradienting up to the basking area. I use a temp gun to gauge his temperature, I'm very much on top of his care. Any time I have a problem I'm at the vet or calling and asking questions. I was sold a sick bearded dragon before him. She passed three weeks after and I tried to get her the best care. It was very upsetting and painful. So I make sure I'm researching and asking questions

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB what is it brand and bulb?
Please post pics of tank and lighting and him
Karrie

Thundercat48

Original Poster
Everything is by reptison 10.0 florescent light and 75 watt basking bulb over basking and overlog next to basking area. I also use hear emitting light at night when cool.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and the distance you have for UVB? I am assuming it's a T 5? It's in the tank or on top of screen? And it's the same length of tank? Is he having to hide to get away from the Ray's? Can he see his reflection?
Karrie

Thundercat48

Original Poster
The light is 6 to 8 inches away from him and yes it's the length of cage on top. The dr said it was fine on top and yes it's a t5ho florescent.

Thundercat48

Original Poster
He can see a bit but not much the background is black he does have an area under hammock that he goes under for shade away from light. He is going into larger enclosure soon, a 300 gallon I built

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the 300 gallon tank is huge-- w/ it being that big I am not sure how your going to keep proper lighting in it for him-- sounds like hormones w/ him bobbing if head and the black bearding - is there another dragon he can see?

Thundercat48

Original Poster
No he is the only dragon, are you a dr? You ask alot of questions with no answers. I think the two years I've had him, I've done an excellent job caring for him. Not trying to be inconsiderate, I just feel like people feel I don't know what I'm doing. You made the comment about the new enclosure. I went from a 75 gallon to a 150 with no problem. I'm constantly checking the temperature and making sure I'm changing lights when the time is due. When my dragon isn't feeling well I'm the first to recognize. I pay close attention at all times to the point my boyfriend says I'm worrying to much. But I now my dragon. When I get home I spend time with him, when the weather permits I take him out as much as I can. I'm not like the average person who may just leave them in cage all day

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I understand- no I am not a Dr but there are so many people who post and don't give alot of info on set ups etc and alot of times it's the husbandry causing issues- we try to narrow the reason down to what is causing it--- there are people on here that can help and w/ the info you have posted they can chime in and give ideas as to what might be the cause-- we do have a vet moderator on here as well-- it's great that your a doting owner we see alot of people abusing the dragons or I should say posting about people they know not taking proper care- so sorry about all the questions-- I know about losing a dragon as well-- I rehomed a dragon and when I got her she was on deaths doorstep- the person that had her starved her to death I tried for 2 or 3 weeks but she was at a point of no return her organs shut down - it was heartbreaking to see someone do that to a dragon----- hopefully someone will respond to your post here w/ some ideas of his weight loss
Karrie

Thundercat48

Original Poster
Thank you so much, I know everyone wants to help. I'm just worried and scared. He's my baby and I want the best for him. I can't imagine why anyone would abuse them, they are so cute and innocent. I can't wait to get home to see him and hold him. I appreciate your help

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,
Black-bearding with head bobbing is a sign of dominance and is usually brought on by hormones or the presence of other animals in the house. Also, how old is he? If he's a juvenile or young adult, he could just be going through some hormonal "teen" stuff. If he's a year or older, his lack of appetite could be him preparing to brumate. If it's not any of these things, you could ask the vet to look for pinworms or excessive amoebas in his stool. Since it's possible it's a phase, you might just observe and track his weight and not force feed, which might agitate him further. At 713g, sounds like he's not in danger weight-wise. We do have a vet/moderator on this forum Drache613 if you want to try sending her a private message, but from your description, I don't think it's time to panic just yet. Keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom