Page 1 of 1

DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:30 pm
by NiGhtMaRe050910
Ok so a while ago i found a wild lizard with tail rot and i wanted to help it but we didnt have time. so if i find a wild lizard with tail rot and i want to help it, can i do a DIY amputation?? Like wash the tail with rubbing alcohol then heat up a knife, then cut so it cauterizes it at the same time. ik it sound painful but its better than death right? or should i just let it suffer and die? Im not really sure its kind of confusing

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:59 pm
by AHBD
Can you post some pictures ? The only time it would be O.K is if it was just a small section , not involving a lot of tissue but with a wild caught lizard there is more of a stress factor. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm
by MrSpectrum
Personally I wouldn't--though it might depend on the species and situation. My concerns would be things like well-intentioned misdiagnosis, making things worse than if I hadn't intervened, post-procedural infection... the list goes on.

Instead, I might try taking it to an SPCA/Humane Society (who--if warranted--would put the animal down humanely or have it treated by a veterinarian), a reptile or wildlife rescue, or if affordable, take it to a vet to decide/treat, pay the bill, and release (if the vet agrees & treats).

It's a tough call to make; we care about all living things, yet we feed certain lifeforms to other lifeforms, because it's "nature". Unfortunately, sometimes so are things like tail rot, and natures way of dealing with it. Nature can be a cruel mistress.

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:12 pm
by AHBD
Another thing to consider is what type of lizard it was because some lizards detach part or most of their tails when a predator grabs it and then it just LOOKS like it's injured. Where are you located so that you might narrow down what type of lizard it was.

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm
by NiGhtMaRe050910
AHBD wrote:Another thing to consider is what type of lizard it was because some lizards detach part or most of their tails when a predator grabs it and then it just LOOKS like it's injured. Where are you located so that you might narrow down what type of lizard it was.

Yeah i know for sure it was tail rot, since it looked like it was burned and it was dry and crispy. it was a anole. i did grab it but it was too feisty.

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 pm
by NiGhtMaRe050910
MrSpectrum wrote:Personally I wouldn't--though it might depend on the species and situation. My concerns would be things like well-intentioned misdiagnosis, making things worse than if I hadn't intervened, post-procedural infection... the list goes on.

Instead, I might try taking it to an SPCA/Humane Society (who--if warranted--would put the animal down humanely or have it treated by a veterinarian), a reptile or wildlife rescue, or if affordable, take it to a vet to decide/treat, pay the bill, and release (if the vet agrees & treats).

It's a tough call to make; we care about all living things, yet we feed certain lifeforms to other lifeforms, because it's "nature". Unfortunately, sometimes so are things like tail rot, and natures way of dealing with it. Nature can be a cruel mistress.

yeah but i could tell for certain it was tail rot. it was black and crispy and dry. it was an anole so i doubt SPCA would take it

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:51 pm
by NiGhtMaRe050910
AHBD wrote:Can you post some pictures ? The only time it would be O.K is if it was just a small section , not involving a lot of tissue but with a wild caught lizard there is more of a stress factor. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

sorry i didn't specify in my post, i was saying "If" i come across another on with tail rot

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:03 am
by kingofnobbys
NiGhtMaRe050910 wrote:Ok so a while ago i found a wild lizard with tail rot and i wanted to help it but we didnt have time. so if i find a wild lizard with tail rot and i want to help it, can i do a DIY amputation?? Like wash the tail with rubbing alcohol then heat up a knife, then cut so it cauterizes it at the same time. ik it sound painful but its better than death right? or should i just let it suffer and die? Im not really sure its kind of confusing


NO !

Don't try to amputate anything as a DIYS job.

>>> very painful
>>> very cruel
>>> very likely end up with dead lizard.

If it is in need of amputation ( assessed so by a vet ) it is a surgical procedure that requires pain relief during and afterwards.

Vets are obligated by law to take in wild animals and treat them. They will not charge you when you present with a sick or injured wild animal. I've taken several injured wild animals to vets over the years and never been charged a penny by the vets.

Re: DIY Amputation??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:46 am
by MrSpectrum
kingofnobbys wrote:Vets are obligated by law to take in wild animals and treat them.

Not here (USA). Vets may treat wild animals provided they're not of certain species that may carry certain diseases (e.g. rabies) Where I live, they would more likely refer one to a wildlife rescue or strongly suggest the animal be put down. That, they usually will do, but they don't have to treat wildlife for free either. Euthanasia is considered treatment.

See: Wildlife Decision Tree

I assume (perhaps incorrectly) we're talking about Anolis carolinensis. IME, that's kinda like finding an injured mouse; I think most people would let nature take its course. I'm not saying I condone that--it's just the way it is.