Bearded not eating normally

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on this forum many times and it usually keeps me and my girlfriend at ease hearing Real Owners and real people who actually care as compared to vets. My bearded dragon had lost his appetite before due to isospora parasite. Long story short we made a vet visit, fecal exam, oral medicine and he was cured. Made a follow up decal and it was confirmed.

Now it comes to the issue that he really doesnt want to eat much or do much. He still looks healthy. We monitor his weight but its concerning you know? All he would like to eat are blueberries although his salad includes kale, collard, or mustard. And topped with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, carrots and squash slices. For protein and fatty things he used to eat crickets and we switched to dubia which he loved but when he got sick he only wanted worms. Now I'm afraid its same. We order in bulk from websites like rainbowmealworms or dubiaroaches for the cost and less stress of not having food. petsmart/petco like to run low and push back their new shipment because of weather. Anyways a lot of the food would be wasted because he doesnt wish to eat even with the variety. We've taken him to the vet they said it can just be his temper or hormones like "a teenager" and that we should try a salad every 2 or 3 days instead of everyday because we offer too much. To us that doesnt make too much sense because with the big salad he gets daily, he doesnt eat anything besides blueberries which would be like 5. And make pick one or two pieces of green/fruits. I believe brumation is the cause because it's getting cold now and he likes to stay in his little cave. Thank you for any advice

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is the dragon? And please post pics of his tank and lighting so we can rule that out--- it is likely his metabolism is slowing but we want to make sure nothing else is going on--- and please NO more blueberries they are too sweet and should only be fed occasionally -- he needs protein 2-3 times per week dusted w/ calcium and salads every day --- you can try this to get him to his food bowl -- try collard greens mustard or turnip greens all three or 2 doesnt matter add some squash any kind and then add 3 super worms on top w/ some BSFL on the salad let him see you do this the movement will get him to the bowl make sure you have a bowl that the worms cant get out of --- then later about an hr or so add his staple feeder crickets you may haft to disable them or dubia roaches -- they are the best --- but he needs to start eating this stuff instead of blueberries too high in sugar --- will cause issues as he gets older --- you can get BSFL from here they are a good staple feeder and you can use as many as you want they do not need to be dusted --- https://symtonbsf.com/
here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Please get a weight on him and keep track of what he weighs -- you dont want him losing weight
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I agree we need a few more details, like his age.

Could you post pictures of him and your setup for us?

For now though i'd probably cut back on the blueberries, especially if it's the only thing he is wanting to eat.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom