Power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarsnDragons

This is my first time on this site and I’ve got maybe an hour till it is dark. I don’t have a backup generator/heating pads/warm water/electricity. I’ve had her under a blanket all day but she is still cold. I don’t want her to stay cold and I want her to be warm. Is there anything I can do besides putting her in a box and putting her under a pillow/ blanket? Please help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A blanket wont do much. They are not warm blooded like we are. So a blanket wont help them stay warm. You would be better off putting her in between your shirt and skin. So that you can give her some body heat.

That's really all you can do if you dont have power, dont have chemical heat packs, and cant start a fire.

Do you have warm water at all?

How long will you be out of power?

-Brandon

CarsnDragons

Original Poster
claudiusx":3v74ozmy said:
A blanket wont do much. They are not warm blooded like we are. So a blanket wont help them stay warm. You would be better off putting her in between your shirt and skin. So that you can give her some body heat.

That's really all you can do if you dont have power, dont have chemical heat packs, and cant start a fire.

Do you have warm water at all?

How long will you be out of power?

-Brandon

Yeah peco says maybe until Sunday. But I’m hopeful. No warm water because we can’t run the water heater and it’s not exactly warm this November. We ended up starting a fire and I’m keeping her close any tips for night time?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She should be ok over night. How cold is it getting at night?
She should be ok as long as you're able to warm her back up in the morning and throughout the day.

It's a tough situation.
Worst case scenario could you drive somewhere that had power and bring a heat lamp with you? I'm not sure how wide spread your power outage is.

-Brandon

CarsnDragons

Original Poster
claudiusx":xbl5ash5 said:
She should be ok over night. How cold is it getting at night?
She should be ok as long as you're able to warm her back up in the morning and throughout the day.

It's a tough situation.
Worst case scenario could you drive somewhere that had power and bring a heat lamp with you? I'm not sure how wide spread your power outage is.

-Brandon

The power came back at about 12 she is under her heat lamp and is warming up alright thank you very much for the help.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I know the issue is over now for the OP.

But it's worth noting that so long as the dragon doesn't freeze solid during the extended power outage , even 2 or 4 days of no heat is not going to harm the dragon , it'll simply slow it's metabolism down to just ticking over while cold and sleep through the outage.

We lost power for a week during a monster winter "cyclone", was a bad enough storm to ship wreck a 300,000 T bulk coal ship on a reef about 300m from a local beach and about the same distance from Nobby's Wall (crew was rescued by ADF helicopters when the ship looked like breaking up in the 20m + storm waves) , and it blew down many trees and lots of power lines in my region , temperatures fell to about 5 degC inside our home ( is all electric so no heating ) , my bluetongues and dragons simply slept through the event , and were up and wide awake within a couple of hours after the power was reestablished , they suffered no ill effects at all as far as I could tell .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom