Beardie acting crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I've had my boy for three months now. He's just over two years old. I feed him dubias or superworms every other day, and veg (different greens, squash, carrot, berries) every day. Salads and bugs are dusted with repcal+d3 and herptivite. For the last two weeks, he's refused to touch his salads, but he acts like he's starving when I give him his bugs.
I give him a bath every other night, and he is not dehydrated. On Saturday, I noticed muscle twitching in all four legs, so I took him to the vet on Monday to test for MBD. His x-ray and blood panel came back fine, but he hadn't pooped in a couple of days (normal, he only goes two or three times a week) so we're waiting to do a fecal test.
He's under a reptisun 10.0 duo light with SunGlo heat lamp and a CHE at night. Hot side of the 40gal tank is 100f, cool side is 75f, he gets 14 hours with his lights on.

All day yesterday, he acted normal. He's pretty lazy during the day, he just likes to go back and forth between his favorite perches (on top of his hide to watch out the window, under his log, on top of his log to bask) all day. But last night, I gave him a bath (shallow, just barely above room temp). Usually he likes to nap after a bath, but this time he didn't. He ran around the room instead, under and over furniture, back and forth between the window and the door, just super energetic and hyper. His beard wasn't colored or fluffed, he didn't try to hide anywhere, he showed absolutely no signs of stress. I thought maybe he was just feeling better or something, so I let him tucker himself out before I put him back in his cage, around 9pm. His lights turn off at 9:30, and he's normally asleep before they even go off, but not last night. He stayed in his hammock until I checked on him at midnight, where he was still wide awake. I went to bed, but I heard him all night moving around his cage, tipping over his food bowl, splashing in his water dish (where he pooped finally, that's going in for a test today), scrabbling all over his hide and his log making a huge ruckus. He's never done this before. He was still awake when I checked on him this morning. I leave for work at six, his lamp comes on at 7:30. He's never awake that early, but this morning he was. He was back in his hammock, there was poop in his water, and his salad was flung all over the place, like he'd tossed the whole bowl. Does anyone have an idea what's going on with my Little Dude?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Would you be able to post up the blood work results for us?

How old is the reptisun 10.0.
It's in one of those dual fixtures? So it's a compact fluorescent not a long tube that spans a portion of the length of the tank right?
Hot side is 100, so what is his basking surface temp?

Are you sure he is a dude?

-Brandon

GloriousMom

Original Poster
I'm trying to upload a picture of his cage but I'm on mobile, and it's not doing anything when I try to upload. Yes, his light is a dual mount, compact bulb. He is definitely a he. Surface temperature in his basking spot, I don't know, but it's seven inches away from his lights. The bulb was changed out a week ago or so. The only difference to his cage in the three months I've had him is changing out his bulb, and I got him a hammock. The cage he's in now, there's no point in mounting a tube light, but the one I'm building him will have one.

As an update, he's back to his normal sleeping habits, but very lethargic during the day. He only moves to get his bugs. His results will be in on Tuesday, I will post them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The only thing I can say is get rid of the compact bulb ASAP--- how long before you have the new tank built???? That is the issue for one - the compact bulb it is 13 watt or a 26 watt? --- and possible parasites-- what does his poop look like? Is it well formed and moist runny chalky looking? Does it smell so bad it makes you want to leave the room? That would be the first sign of parasites ----
Karrie

GloriousMom

Original Poster
Hello all, an update:

He definitely has parasites. I ran out of roaches, and had him entirely on superworms that I bought from PetSmart, and that is when his health issues started. He was not digesting his superworms very well, my vet believes that it was causing him abdominal pain, and he's also concerned that it aggravated parasititus, if not gave him the parasites in the first place. He's on medication now, and back to his dubias (thank goodness they came in quickly). He's getting his medication mixed with calcium and vitamins blended with blueberry or squash baby food, and has already begun having more energy, and sleeping regularly. My vet looked over his cage setup, and agrees that, while it's not ideal for him, it's fine for the interim while his pimped out crib is being built. As for the lights, he said they were fine, because not only does he have the UVB coil and basking lamp duo, he's right next to a window where he gets natural sunlight most of the day.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad that he seems to be acting better?

GloriousMom":1likl2bz said:
As for the lights, he said they were fine, because not only does he have the UVB coil and basking lamp duo, he's right next to a window where he gets natural sunlight most of the day.
Oh boy, this makes me really doubt your vets abilities. Mainly the window comment. I hope he is aware that glass blocks 100% of UVB radiation. Being near a window does nothing for getting proper UVB exposure.
And depending on the wattage of the Coil you have, it's effective distance really is only around 4-6 inches or so, assuming it's not being blocked by a mesh screen.
Anyways, the sooner you can get the lighting upgraded the better, but in the meantime, at least don't rely on the idea that being near a window will help. A vet really should know better than that. I would take what he says with a grain of salt..

Would you mind telling us what parasites were found?
And also what exactly the vet prescribed?

Hopefully your guy is continuing to do better :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom