Beardie sick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrayman

Hi, tonight I noticed an odd behavior from my beardie after I had finished feeding her and giving her water. She seemed to be kind of gagging, almost like she was trying to throw up, but it wasn’t very severe like heaving. I immediately checked her mouth to see if anything was stuck, and I noticed a lot of small bubbles toward the beginning of her throat (which I thought could possibly be from the water she was drinking). She has never done this before nor had any problems eating or drinking water. She’s been eating normally and I haven’t noticed any other weird behaviors besides a bit of laziness because of her nesting (she has infertile eggs that I assume she will be laying soon). I haven’t changed anything about her enclosure recently and the temps & humidity are still fine, as well as uvb. She eats crickets and a mix of collard greens, baby kale, romaine, and mixed greens dusted with calcium and reptivite with d3.
I had done a little research (in a bit of a panic since I don’t know if anything super terrible is happening) and it doesn’t seem to match the descriptions of anything. Other than possibly a little more saliva (although I haven’t really been keeping track of her saliva, if I’m honest) she hasn’t had any other symptoms. She doesn’t react to me touching around her mouth, and there’s been no excessive mucus or discharge from her mouth or nose.
The only health related issues I’ve ever had with her were prolapses (which we didn’t get a cause for, but I’m 90% sure it was a calcium problem) which have not happened in months. She is almost 3 years old, and I’ve had her since she was a few months old. I got her from a pet store (I know, not good :c) but I don’t think that would have anything to do with this.

Below are some pictures from today (taken like 20 min ago) if I did this correctly:
106352-7344270660.jpg
106352-1363427085.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How was she drinking water? was she drinking it herself or were you offering it via syringe?
If it was out of a waterbowl or the bath, was it deep enough for her whole head to dunk into?

It sounds like she might have just aspirated a little bit of water, or choked a little bit. If you can, keep her tank warmer tonight, around 80. That will help her clear her lungs.

How is her breathing right now?

-Brandon

mbrayman

Original Poster
claudiusx":w1u68hdu said:
Hi there,

How was she drinking water? was she drinking it herself or were you offering it via syringe?
If it was out of a waterbowl or the bath, was it deep enough for her whole head to dunk into?

It sounds like she might have just aspirated a little bit of water, or choked a little bit. If you can, keep her tank warmer tonight, around 80. That will help her clear her lungs.

How is her breathing right now?

-Brandon

Hey, thank you for the response (sorry for my late reply)!
The water was in the sink with her, she probably couldn’t dunk her entire head underwater but she could fit her mouth under if she wanted. She was drinking it herself. I kept her enclosure a bit warmer like you said and she hasn’t had any more problems so far, but when I give her water again tonight I will see if it happens again. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom