My beardie is puffing up her eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
My beardie is puffing up her eyes nearly every day. Is it normal for them or is something wrong? I have been trying to catch it on camera but no luck yet. Anyway, do you have tips for me to try? Thankyou.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is she about to go through a shed? They often do this to help loosen the skin around the eyes while or before they shed.

-Brandon

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I turned it off so I don't burn myself. :) I turned it back on afterwards.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The coil light I would say is the issue--- here is some info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would shut the coil off and take her outside for direct sunlight if you can till you get it replaced - 15 minutes in direct sun is = to 4 hrs UVB-- you can use a plastic tote w/ no lid -- no glass it gets too hot-I would get it changed out ASAP--------------I also recommend replacing the sand -- it can cause impaction --- I recommend textured non adhesive shelf liner from your local hardware store its cheap and easy to clean - and insects cant get underneath --- is it possible she got sand in her eye as well - but my guess its the coil you have
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom