Please help ...bearded dragon experience needed !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi before i begin i want to give u a small background about how i prepared myself with all the necesities a beardy needs...so i got my beardie (rexxy)on sept 20,2019 since weve had him he has been upgrated to a 40g tank amd moved into a 175 tank if im not mistaken me and my husband assume hes around 3 months or so ...the only reason we think hes that age is becouse when we got him at petco the associate had mentioned to us that he had already been there for 2 months already ...we picked him becouse he was the biggest one out of 2 ....n.e ways long story short ....ive noticed everytime we go to pick him up from his tank he shakes like if hes scared of hights or being dropped ...ive never dropped him for the record....he wont shake if he feels hes secure or we have him on our chest .....another think ive noticed is that when he gets taken out of his tank he waggs his tail as if he was a dog lol we assume thats him showing us hes happy to be out and is going to be exploring around our living room ....any help would really appreaciate it
[XIMG]106280 4575655269[/XIMG

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, this is a normal reaction to being picked up and, not feeling sake. The tale waging as you call it is, him trying to balance him self. He will eventually get used to it. Remember.... This attention thing is all new to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum-- its great you have already gotten him into a bigger tank and I am sure he will be exploring that nice big tank --- so since you say you got him from Petco what kind of lighting did you get set up w/ ? Can you post pics of your little guy and his tank and lighting please-- here is a link
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Chiquis714":37lzi2ug said:
Hi before i begin i want to give u a small background about how i prepared myself with all the necesities a beardy needs...so i got my beardie (rexxy)on sept 20,2019 since weve had him he has been upgrated to a 40g tank amd moved into a 175 tank if im not mistaken me and my husband assume hes around 3 months or so ...the only reason we think hes that age is becouse when we got him at petco the associate had mentioned to us that he had already been there for 2 months already ...we picked him becouse he was the biggest one out of 2 ....n.e ways long story short ....ive noticed everytime we go to pick him up from his tank he shakes like if hes scared of hights or being dropped ...ive never dropped him for the record....he wont shake if he feels hes secure or we have him on our chest .....another think ive noticed is that when he gets taken out of his tank he waggs his tail as if he was a dog lol we assume thats him showing us hes happy to be out and is going to be exploring around our living room ....any help would really appreaciate it
Does he whip his tail around?

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Gormagon":1jw73sq1 said:
Yes, this is a normal reaction to being picked up and, not feeling sake. The tale waging as you call it is, him trying to balance him self. He will eventually get used to it. Remember.... This attention thing is all new to him.
Yeah my beardie whip his tail in a circle when I pick him up a certain way.

Chiquis714

Original Poster
106280-6840330278.jpg
106280-6502951290.jpg
106280-3089204054.jpg
[ximg]106280 6229484626[/ximg][XIMG]106280 4575655269[/XIMG[ximg]106280 4575655269[/ximg]
106280-3089204054.jpg
So i have a long uv light i believe its a t something and then i got him another one since the tank is way to big it wont fully cover the cool side so i have the uv light bulb ...any help would be appreaciated

Chiquis714

Original Poster
Please excuse the mess rexxys been shedding so i will be cleaning his tank today before the after noon :mrgreen:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on the shape of the fixture it looks like a T8 UVB light. That is OK at around 6-8'' above the basking spot but not much use beyond that distance. It's better suited for small tanks (20g/20g long). If it came with a clear plastic cover over where the bulb goes, that should be removed and left off since it will intercept the UVB. The 13w compact isn't powerful enough to be of much use to a dragon so I'd discard that or return it. Your T8 should be OK for now. They need replacement every 6 months or so, so I suggest saving up for a more powerful T5. This will require a new fixture and bulb but will be better suited to the large tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/

https://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

This combination should sit next to the basking bulb and be around 12'' or so above the main basking area. 10'' if you have it sitting on top of the mesh rather than inside the tank (the mesh top will intercept some of the UVB and cut the effective distance)

Chiquis714

Original Poster
Well he doesnt flip his tail its more of a wagging form that he does it...
Well i seen that since i had a bigger tank i needed a stronger basking light wich is the one on the pix but its way to hot and due to the light being so strong it was melting the plastic around the tank so i decided to just go back to the 75 w its exo terra intense basking spot 120v 60hz

Chiquis714

Original Poster
106280-7802615761.jpg
106280-6677890709.jpg

Ok so i took down the uv light bulb and ended up puting on the other light bulb that is 150w im just scared its going to melt the plastic again from the top of the tank any suggestions or should i keep the 75w instead

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is the plastic on the frame that goes around the mesh top? Or is the mesh top made of plastic itself? In the past, I've had luck shielding plastic framing from hot bulbs by folding some foil over it. That seems to work pretty well as a heat shield. Alternatively, you can suspend the light and fixture from an adjustable lamp stand so it sits above the top and doesn't come into contact with the plastic.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a bulb that's gonna keep temps 95-105--- if you can get a gradient going for temps that he can pick a spot he wants for temp that would be great- like putting a different piece of decor there that has different places to sit-- did you get your UVB set up so it has correct distance and cover off bulb?
It looks like you have the basking bulb on a hanger? Whatever works-- just keep an eye on his temps
Karrie

Chiquis714

Original Poster
No the top is mesh and around it its plastic but yes the uv plastic i did take it off so rexxy can get the proper uv rays and yes i have the 150 w on a light stand but any sugestions on what to put on the stand to get it to stick again on the outside of the tank ...the original wore off when i moved it and now im just holding the stand against the wall and between the tank so it can hold it up but i dont feel its safe for me to be ok to leave it like that while i go to work and leave it on ....

Chiquis714

Original Poster
So were the baskin light is at 100 the way i have it will that be ok ...and yes as soon as i get to cleaning his tank ill make sure ill put a log or something so he can bask on it and ill just put the hammocks some were else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom